GPZ 7000 Coil Cover Available

Its been a problem with no solution so far. The GPZ 7000 by Minelab is an expensive detector and folks who are out using them daily (or nearly so) in the goldfields are wearing out the coil covers and Minelab has not yet provided any replacements. This is a problem as the coils are quite expensive and replacement coils are not even available either. Guys have been patching up and repairing the old coil covers as best as they could and hoping ML will come out with replacement coil covers soon - but no one really knows when they will be available.

Well, private enterprise to the answer - Razorback Coils / Miner John Designs, a third party coil maker, is now selling GPZ 14 inch coil covers. At least now the prospectors who are running the GPZ have an option other than putting a band-aid or some other sorry excuse on the old cover. The new ones by Razorback are supposed to greatly outlast the stock cover and are available here:

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5908106

• Like 2

Good info, thanks Chris!

Apparently genuine Minelab scuff covers and backup batteries are available now at some Australian dealers. Presumably they will be available at U.S. dealers in the very near future.

The Razorback version scuff cover may be cheaper and better, hard to beat a deal like that.

Wondering why he made the coil covers in black which would seem to absorb more heat etc.

I would prefer a white coil cover.

That being said he has made quality products in the past and I would not hesitate to buy one.

Now I just have to get a GPZ to go with it…

Good info, thanks Chris!

Apparently genuine Minelab scuff covers and backup batteries are available now at some Australian dealers. Presumably they will be available at U.S. dealers in the very near future.

The Razorback version scuff cover may be cheaper and better, hard to beat a deal like that.

I purchased spare batterys from 'Miners Den Sydney' 2 days ago for $249aud.

They also had spare cover's as well for $60.

Should not be long until you get them on your side of the pond!

I will rarely need to replace the coil cover as I siliconed a piece of 3mm lexan plastic in its place.

Lexan is VERY abrasion resistant so it will easily last 1-3 seasons full time use, if I were to continue to use the minelab one's it would cost a pretty penny as they only last about 2-4 weeks depending on the ground type.

• Like 1