Wear them all the time myself.  A cheap piece of insurance.  I find them very useful against spinifex and when I'm "gardening" in bushes and cactus.  Have not had to test them against snakes, I find my coil to be pretty resistant to them, have had a few rattlers have a go, but I'm reasonably confident I'll have a good chance of walking away if ever I do get struck at.

After riding horses and ATVs through deserts and mountains, I invested in Snake Proof Chaps. I have gaiters for hiking/detecting, but if you plan on riding through brush, trust me; you won't regret getting them. The first time you drive/ride through a couple of Ocotillo or Cholla, and your knees and shins don't look like ten miles of unpaved road, you will be very happy.

If all you plan on doing is hiking or detecting in the brush, just get gaiters. Make sure you specify "SNAKE GAITERS" when you are shopping for them. They have "Gaiters" for hikers that are only designed to keep your socks from getting wet. They won't stop snake fangs or cholla/ocotillo spines. 

Mike

Yes get a pair,for snake protection but they are good for cholla cactus.

Snakes can bite through boots the kind made out of cordura but snake gaiters will take care of that .

I got mine at AZO and wear em all the time. Between the eyes getting older, the headphones covering the ears and the gold fever obscuring everything, its a cheap insurance policy.

Yes get a pair,for snake protection but they are get for cholla cactus.

Snakes can bite through boots the kind made out of cordura but snake gaiters will take care of that .

Thanks everyone for your help

I always wear leather Hunting Boots about 10" high but with my health issues and the Meds I am on I don't think It is a risk I can Take,

So I will see if some one will post me some,

Thanks again,, John

They are certainly a good precaution. That being said, I don't wear them. I opted for the full leather upper boot. Ironically, I was bittten by a small Diamondback a few years back and I was not out detecting. I was in my back yard doing yard work. Damn thing bit me on the hand...it was well hidden  in some weeds. Didn't even rattle either. I'm more concerned about being bitten on the hand/arm while retrieving a target than being bitten on the ankle/leg. My experience almost killed me. Spent three days in ICU. Make sure you are aware of where you are reaching! I learned my lesson the hard way. Be safe.

Dean

They are certainly a good precaution. That being said, I don't wear them. I opted for the full leather upper boot. Ironically, I was bittten by a small Diamondback a few years back and I was not out detecting. I was in my back yard doing yard work. Damn thing bit me on the hand...it was well hidden  in some weeds. Didn't even rattle either. I'm more concerned about being bitten on the hand/arm while retrieving a target than being bitten on the ankle/leg. My experience almost killed me. Spent three days in ICU. Make sure you are aware of where you are reaching! I learned my lesson the hard way. Be safe.

Dean

Geeze Mate Sorry to hear that,  Am I right in thinking that Some Rattlers Cause Tissue Damage when they Bite??

My Cousin Got Tagged by A Swamp Tiger In OZ and it nigh On killed him, Lucky for him he was only 2 or 3 Miles from the hospital,  He just climbed down off a Ladder after painting the Gutters to check if he had missed any bits and he stepped back and wham, It Got Him Real Good.

john

Bit of a problem here with our lingo, John :)

• Like 1