Staying Within The Same Metal Detector Ecosystem

So I'm doing a lot of research here and other message boards about making the most of your time while metal detecting. One thing I knew (and have subsequently seen confirmed online) is that you REALLY need to know your machine well (features, how it responds in different conditions, etc.) to make the most of it.

Given this, how many of you factor in similarity among metal detectors when upgrading (aka: staying within the ecosystem)? For example, I will eventually upgrade from the F2 (assuming I stay in this hobby). Most likely, that will be several years from now because I've told myself any new machine must be funded from finds made by the F2. By that point, I'll know my F2 like it's nobody's business. I imagine it would be "best" for me to stay within the Fisher Labs ecosystem due to my anticipated familiarity with the F2. So given inherent time limitations in learning a new machine, I figure I'd be making finds faster with say an F44 or F75 than a Minelab CTX-3030.

Is this true and if so, how many of you out there take this into consideration when upgrading your machine? I ask because I'm surprised by how little "brand loyalty" I see among metal detectors users. Not that this is a problem, but I just figured more people would find one or two brands and stick with them. Luckily, I have plenty of time to figure out whether I'll stay with Fisher or move on to Garrett, Minelab, White's or some other brand.

For me it’s about the evolution of my hearing.

First detector your pretty happy when something Beeps at you.

Second detector you want something that Beeps louder or fainter with regards to size and depth of the signal.

Third detector you’d like something with audio ID.

Umpteenth detector you want something that can paint you a picture of the target, listen to the ground as well and have an idea how the local EMI is doing. By then if they stick a Beep and Dig in your hand,... you will probably dig a hole,... bury it,... say a few words and Move On ?

With detectors you can easily state that: Money talks and B#llS”it Walks. Within the same brand of detectors their most expensive machines,... and they can have some very simplistic audio. Will provide the most audio info and paint the best picture of what your coil is running over.

The least expensive machines will even tough they can have complicated audio,... keep you guessing ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noah (FL) said:

So many variables in tones and general operation from brand to brand that it really comes down to what you “click” with.  

That's a major reason why I'm so surprised people use so many different brands of metal detectors. 

I assume that those beeps and tones in my Fisher F2 will mean the same thing in a Fisher F75. And if I picked up a Garrett's AT Pro, I would have to spend a ton of time "retuning my ear" to the new machine. But I don't know if this assumption is true, hence this thread.

It’s more like driving a car me. They are all different but I can rent anything and drive off the lot without crashing. :smile: The fact many people own multiple brands with no issue pretty much proves the point.

Sticking with one brand is in my opinion counterproductive to being a successful detectorist. Any brand can come out with a new machine that’s better than what’s out there. People who limit themselves to one brand automatically limit their options. I can’t imagine limiting myself to one brand.

As a marketer I always chuckled at brand loyalty. As if the brands are loyal back. They just want to be your “friend” while slipping your wallet out of your pocket! :laugh:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s more like driving a car me. They are all different but I can rent anything and drive off the lot without crashing:smile:

That seems to be a good analogy and you're right, with so many people using different brands, it's probably true.

There are so many other hobbies or contexts where brand loyalty exists, especially when it involves skills and/or experience with the item. I'm thinking radio control (at least back in the 90s and 2000s), musical instruments, anything involving engines, tools and video game systems. I know the industries aren't the same, so it's not a perfect comparison, but as a relative newbie to metal detectors I'm surprised by a few "quirks" about the hobby and am trying to learn more about them.

I try to be brand loyal, but only up to a point. If they have certain social causes they support that I disagree with, are WAY overpriced or produce anything that uses a 9V battery (j/k), then I tend to look for alternatives.

Actually there is a huge amount of brand loyalty in detector land. You just have not been on the forums long enough and missed the “detector wars”. Brand name loyalty is so common amongst detectorists it was tearing the community apart. Thus you have forums like this where such behavior is not allowed and gets you banned. Just because you are not seeing it does not mean it does not exist.

• Like 2

Steve's analogy to the Metal Detector with Automotive I like very much ..., ... and is more than apt ..., What are the expectations of your future detector? , include the weight of the detector and its price .....