My Soil Sucks Please Help With Equinox 800

Hello all, I am new to the forum but I have been reading for a couple years. I live in the heart of central Illinois in some of the HOTTEST soils on earth... We have that glacial till high mineral black sandy,salty,clay,rock,coal,coke stuff that makes corn and beans grow to yields not seen anyplace else. I have over 120 hours on the nox 800 and I understand what the settings do ect. My ground balance numbers are in the 74-90 range with an occasional 50ish. I cant find anything. I had an old BH3300 and I found 182 silvers last year in just my small town. I have maprika so you can overlay a map from whenever over current maps and know where things were. I have made all my finds by research. I never knew my soil was hot. I got about 6 inches on the 3300 and come to find out thats about as deep as anything ends up due to rock ans clayish layer 6-8 inch down. If someone knows anything about my soil I need some recommendations. I am not going to say where I live but one other area in central Il has the exact same dirt. Paxton Illinois in ford county Illinois. The best results I get is in beach 1 recovery 8 iron bias 2 and sens 16. If I use anything else I get perfect repeatable tones on something that makes me dig and dig and its never there. I shook a china mans hand one day i dug so deep!! Whats wierd about the soil is I can make a test garden and hit a penny at 14 inches in park 1 and 10 inches in beach 1...

• Like 1

Great writeups Chase and Steve!  Nice details and nice job.

• Like 1

Wow chase and steve, that was some good reading fellas, doesnt really pertain to me but great info nontheless...and shows what good guysu all are to take the time to go so in depth. Thanks for that

• Like 4

On 3/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, Chase Goldman said:

The answer is not that simple if salt is involved, also.  But it is definitely something that the OP should be experimenting with as I suggested.

still no good in Gold mode ? ...then the OP needs a PI machine IMHO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSC said:

still no good in Gold mode ? ...then the OP needs a PI machine IMHO

Gold mode is unstable in wet salt and mineralized conditions.  OP is reporting beach 1 works best, so I suggested Beach 2 which is designed to handle salt and black sand.  But I suspect Gold mode will actually work fine because we are not talking wet salt conditions and suggested he try that as well.  The OP is coming ftom an entry level BH to an Equinox.  The BH did ok in his area so I don't understand why he is having such a hard time getting Equinox to perform and seriously doubt he needs or is willing to lay out the cash for a PI machine, but we will see how it goes if he ever responds back.

• Like 2

This is an all too common topic accross all forums not relating to any specific brand.  First time poster that made unprecedented number of silver finds with a beginner model moves to a more in-depth settings model and can’t quite mesh with the machine.  Either the poster figured out how to jive with the machine or it hits the back of the closet until it turns up on eBay in 10 years when they move and have a garage sale.   LOL

• Like 3