GPZ Protection Tips

After my first outing with the GPZ I realized this machine is going to look pretty beat up in a few months. I pondered some different ideas to protect the top of the coil like stick on shelving paper or some kind of self adhering protection. I ended up testing a spray on rubber product called Plasti Dip. I first tested it on plastic and wood before blasting it on my precious and expensive new GPZ coil. After multiple coats and letting it dry you have a rubber coating that is pretty durable. When you want to later remove it, it just starts pealing and stretching like balloon rubber as it comes off, and it stays in one piece. Application is a little bit of a pain though. What I did was undo the coil fasteners and suspended the detector from the ceiling with the coil (cover off) sitting on a bench covered with cardboard. I retracted the shaft so the coil wire extended past the shaft knuckle. Then used masking tape over the coil wire where it meets the coil and masking tape over the coil eyelets so there's no build up there. After spraying each coat I had to remove the tape right away, and 30 minutes later re-tape before applying the next coat, for a total of 5 fairly thick coats.
It has proven to be quite durable and I will definitely continue to protect my coil with this method. Next time I'll spray it with the white color. Oh..., the nozzle of the spray can wants to clog between coats. Pull it off right after spraying and let it soak in mineral spirits until you need it. The product instantly dissolves in mineral spirits.

Another protective product I use is this self fusing rubber splicing tape. The picture is pretty much self explanatory. This product has to be redone more often. The warmer the temp. the more the rubber wants to kind of roll off.

I don't know why some of the pics rotate when I attach them.

post-619-0-49858400-1430781785_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-34525000-1430781818_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-63605900-1430781861_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-53799900-1430781906_thumb.jpg