19 hours ago, hermann said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I was in contact with the owner of the company in Bulgaria, I decided to keep my GPX 5000 , however I might buy a 20" DD carbon fibre coil that he is going to build soon.    Cheers,  Hermann.

Hermann are you are the Hermann who lives down my way and has visited my workshop in the past? If so you have done well with the 5000 in the past. The Nexus would be a step backwards. The bigger coil would be good, if its light enough, for when you head back over WA.

regards Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,   Yes,  I am that Hermann,  from Drysdale.   The owner from Nexus will build a 20" DD carbon fibre coil,  and I will be the first one to know when it is available, (so he said).   I had a 15" carbon fibre coil a couple of years ago, made in Australia,  That one was unusable. So I think maybe the carbon fibre shell of the coil and the wiring inside interfere with each other, but there could be a trick to overcome this problem.  Hopefully Nexus will know how to do this.  Time will tell.  Cheers,  Hermann.

I don't think the carbon fibre would be causing any interference. So many detectors these days have carbon fibre shafts. Even aftermarket ones adapted to detectors & no issues. If something ain't broke.....don't fix it.:biggrin: If you want increased performance. Get a GPZ 7000. As for the bigger, lighter coil for your 5000......well....I am a sucker for coils myself....so I know where you are coming from. Each one can be a game changer. ? But I would give the Nexus a miss for gold nugget detecting.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 4

Hi  JW,  I had a 7000 but I could not swing it for more than  half an hour, It felt like I was swinging a piece of furniture.  If only Minelab would  listen and build a lightweight 7001.  After a few motorbike accidents (speedway 500cc)  I had a smashed knee, broke my shoulder twice, had a car accident  and was in hospital for 3 months, (somebody ran into me) broke my lower arm in 28 places, my R. leg was ripped out of its socket and was laying up near my head, so needed a hip replacement.  Then I had a heart bypass in 2012, this year I had spinal surgery.  But after all these little operations I still can happily swing the 5000 without much pain.  Cheers, Hermann ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3

Oh...bugger. Sorry to hear all that. You sound very lucky to still be with us. Let alone still able to swing a detector. Good for you. When you were using the GPZ....did you use the harness & the swing arm? Both of those do help immensely. I use them all the time.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile: 

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:19 AM, hermann said:

Hi there,  I am hunting for nuggets in Australia, I've been detecting for over 20 years.  Now I'm thinking about buying a Nexus standard MP detector,  Does anybody out there have experience with this detector?  I would love to hear their opinions.  THank you in advance,  Cheers,  Hermann.

Hi Hermann had a MP for six months now and its the best detector ive used in over 40 yrs of digging inland, have not done beaches with it  yet, but i will say im digging holes that deep ive had to buy myself a pinpointer for the first time and have to use a large spade to get down to the targets, also i found a setting to get rid of most iron approx 95% at least, i use a double 12" coil the maker george calls it  the ugly coil it great on very deep large targets as well as getting small targets as well  like small buttons or hammered silver pennys, you just can`t beat it, it also has a choice of many different coils.

2 minutes ago, stray said:

Hi Hermann had a MP for six months now and its the best detector ive used in over 40 yrs of digging inland, have not done beaches with it  yet, but i will say im digging holes that deep ive had to buy myself a pinpointer for the first time and have to use a large spade to get down to the targets, also i found a setting to get rid of most iron approx 95% at least, i use a double 12" coil the maker george calls it  the ugly coil it great on very deep large targets as well as getting small targets as well  like small buttons or hammered silver pennys, you just can`t beat it, it also has a choice of many different coils.

Hi just one more thing not sure how it would perform on gold fields of Australia as the soil in the UK is not as mineralised as where you are even though it works brilliant on some very mineralised sites i have so its  Best to ask George at Nexus to be sure.

I used several nexus
for the search for money in the land
they have a very good audio response
my old coronado allows me to recognize aluminum
for sure
on the beach, the performances of the coronado and standard
are similar to a sovereign
and far from a good pulse induction

I don't know what it's worth, on the nuggets
but in my opinion the best option
would be to test a nexus coil for GPX
They are always very strong for granted and well-tuned coils ..

• Like 2