Tit bit about Marble Bar, it competes with Coober Pedy both claim they are the hottest towns in OZ. Got to know the fellow at Marble Bar Service station, was telling him about escape and he said I was lucky also as had we been caught on that road would have been hit with a $1000 per wheel fine.

He was a real character, sold groceries and all general store stuff, I mentioned to him I`d kill for a Weekend Australian Newspaper to keep up with the news. Next visit he had one for me, couple of weeks old but much appreciated. When I settled for fuel and that I mentioned he`d forgotten to tally in the Weekend Australian, he said very straight faced, no I haven`t and gave me a written list of all those he wanted killed, mainly politicians. Characters you gotta love em.

• Like 1

I took the wife detecting just one time. Went in her nice air conditioned truck and not my smokey, leaky, squeaky Jeep. Went to a spot that is mostly flat with no brush (very rare in this area) and wild flowers freshly in bloom. I Dug out 13 nuggets for 1.25 ozt.  She thinks that was a normal day of prospecting. Now when I come home with a dozen tiny specks found with the Z - she thinks I'm out goofing off.

But of course, mostly I am.

• Like 3

I know where you are Klunker, I bolt for a few days either fishing or prospecting get bugger all and tell the Missus had a lovely time with the Mistress. Just laughs and asks why I bother coming back home. Not good for the ego.

Norvic, Once again another incredible specimen. Sure looks like you have got this propecting thing pretty figured out-you sure have some beauties. As always, love the stories and can relate to the toyota in the river- did it a couple days ago, thank goodness for blind luck!

Thanks for posting.

Spencer@wy, no definitely have not got it figured out, just had a business that paid the bills and did not need all my time, detectors came along and loved nothing better then spending all my spare time out there. Fortunately I was there at right time in a magic part of OZ and the Goddess of Gold came across on occasions. A great era we live in, detectors, 4WDs etc. An old OZ TV add said it all, was for a dish washing liquid, showed a housewife with her hands in the foamy solution, with the comment "you know your soaking in it". That's the fortune of our era, we can soak in it.