Advice For Detecting In Rivers

Hi Steve,

I have a question for you or any of the other more experienced users. I am looking to buy a couple of new detectors. I will be using them in the rivers where there is some thick bedrock in some places. The first detector will be a primary and the second will be a backup. What would be your first two choices for PI detectors and your two choices for MLF? I already have a CTX, ATPRO and NOX800.

Thanks

Coins, gold and silver rings... not really looking for anything else.

Thanks

Sorry I didnt mean VLF... I meant MLF. Also, I may occasionaly have the need to submerge the control box to go under water with the detector. May also being using in salt water or brackish from time to time...

What’s a MLF? No dirty jokes please. :smile:

As far as PI detectors go it’s mostly a choice between models that do not ground balance, and those that do. On the West coast in particular ground balancing models like the Garrett ATX or White’s TDI Beachhunter are fine for coin size targets. The Minelab SDC 2300 costs a lot more and may actually be TOO sensitive to tiny stuff for what you are doing.

For PI models that do not ground balance I would now avoid the Tesoro Sand Shark so that really only leaves the Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II or White’s Surf PI. I like the White’s of those two personally but the Garrett is worth consideration due to its ability to change coils. That could be good for river use, where the White's coil could prove too large.