Minelab Pro-find 15 Versus 35

I'm considering the Minelab Pro-Find 15 and 35. It seems like the most important difference on a functional level is that the 15 has fixed sensitivity.

To any of you Pro-Find users out there, is the adjustable sensitivity on the 35 important? If not, why not?

Also, is the entire propointer a solid piece of plastic or is there a joint/seem where the black tip meets the yellow housing?

Thanks for the video. Are you saying that the Pro-Find 15 does NOT have the ability to retune? I figured it did, but it was just the sensitivity levels that were locked.

I bought the ProFind 35 a while back. It was a second Pin Pointer for me. I haven’t used it as much as I would like to. My recommendation would be to find a way to use one first. For me, it is not near is good as my Whites TRX. The sound on the ProFind has dropped to about 1/2 of when I bought it. At times, I have trouble hearing it. If you use it in water, you can’t hear it until after you clear the water from the speaker holes. I feel the sensitivity is about on par with my old bulls eye 2.   My recommendation would be use one first and compare to other Pin Pointers. 

I have one and probably shouldn't comment as I've only used 2 PP's now, The original black Garrett and now the Pro-35. I should ad that for the small nuggets I normally find the "divide & conquer" method works best for me. Myself and Goldseeker did a sensitivity test between the Garrett Carret and the 35 and the 35 was a tad more sensitive on some small nuggs by maybe a 1/2 in. The really small bits both PP's had to touch or almost touch the end of PP and half the time neither would sound off on the smallest bits.  The 35 also does weird go crazy stuff and I needed to shut it off and turn back on (retune maybe?).  That bugged me, the go crazy stuff.  Like mentioned...PP's for my small gold really doesn't help me much but I do still pack it and get by with the 35.  What I mainly use it for now is when I'm chasing that loud banging signal you know might possibly be a large chunk of iron and you've worked your butt off getting closer to it....then the Ferrous/non-ferrous function of the 35 comes in real handy and could save you some digging if indeed an iron target or nail.

If I was back coinshooting I'd be ok with the 35 but most likely prefer the old Garrett?  For nuggets I really have no real need for any PP?.....jmo

46 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

Curious to know if anyone else has had issues with the 35s cracking of the shell around the battery access. Read a report with pictures the other day.

Don't try and dig or scrape with it (like I do with my black Garrett...lol) and you'll be fine...….

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

15 only has auto retune, so you can't do what they were doing in that video.  Manual retune can be very handy.

The 15 is their entry level machine, as with all metal detectors you get what you pay for, the basic rule is buy the best you can afford so you don't want to upgrade later as it just costs you more in the end.

I keep reading over and over again people saying they had problems with their Pro-Find which is why I haven't rushed out to get one, I want one for it's discrimination feature as it's something I don't currently have but all the people complaining of faults puts me off.  It's seems an unusually high number of complaints which is unusual for a Minelab product.  I'm sure I'll end up taking the gamble anyway at some point. For my spare it's between the Pro-Find35 and the Fpulse although both have had their issues by the looks of it ?

Given the bolded part, I figured I'd be getting the 35 over the 15 (assuming I got the Pro-Find), but I wanted to make sure I know what I was getting for the extra $30 or so.

I haven't read much about Pro-Find problems...at least not at the same level as the F-Pulse. Guess I have more research to do...

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the 35. It is slightly more sensitive than the 25 and is considerably more sensative than any of the garretts. I use mine every time I go nugget detecting. I have even found a tiny dink of a nugget with it all on it's own in a tight hole on bedrock without using the metal detector to locate it before hand. I will be using it in this manner  time and time again.

• 1 month later...

Did you get your Profind 35 in yet?

I have one and if I turn it on facing upwards it will sound off when turned face down. If I turn it on facing down I can use it but if I lay it sideways it sounds off. Not sure what is up with the self calibration.

If yours behaves the same way then I won't submit for an RMA on it.