Macro Image

DDancer, your query got me off my rear end and I found some info on mine, was not a complete report but certainly of interest and answers your question. quote "Although only 30cm wide at its widest point, the lode consists of calcite, fluorspar and kaolin and mineralised with arsenopyrite , produced over 2500 OZs of gold between 1931-35, from less than 100 tonnes of ore".

That explains why the mullock was rich although the size of one specimen from the mullock was near cricket ball in size and shot through with gold, the miners must have been in a hurry. I had this report amongst a lot of other mining reports I have collected over the years, just had forgotten about having it. Excuse -  Another senior moment but I did have an inkling I would find info amongst my "rats nest". Always had the intention of filing them away in a filing cabinet, maybe now I will. Been interesting but sorting through those old reports.

• Like 1

Norvic,  When you mentioned RB7, do you mean Red Baron 7 back from the late 70's and early 80's?

If so, that is quite impressive with detectors for those days.

Great info.

Yeah RB7 from Bounty Hunter early 80`s, Gerry, it got the first gold there, but they were big pieces, it was many years later when I revisited with the Whites GM2 that I really scored, lots of small pieces. The RB7 was par with the Whites 6000, IMO, but would get a lot of arguments when I suggested that back then. 6000D and Deepseeker were kings in OZ. I was happy with the RB7 then the RG10, still have the RB10 and perhaps of interest, it was modified by Bounty Hunter of OZ with the forerunner of auto ground balance that would have been around 85. Often wondered who did that way back then, perhaps someone who later got Minelab going in that direction. Bounty Hunter disappeared in OZ not long after

4/5 years ago I bought a little Microscope that has a built in Camera and it plugs into my PC it was really good for IDing finds etc, I cant find the Link but if you search PC Microscope it will find you what you need,

Hope this Helps, John

Yeah I tried a USB Supereyes microscope, but I think it might perform better in totally dark just using its variable in built light, sort of overexposure of raised gold and underexposure of that on the lodes surface, at best setting. Must try again, if successful will post. Certainly helps John, give it another go.

Thanks for the feedback on the base rock Norvic.  Your research pile sounds like mine. Hahh.. mines scattered across 3 states now in various storage units though.

With a make up like that I'd call it a granite. Certainly a metamorphic stone.  The old timers may not have been so much rushed as they may have been more on the spoiled side with rich ore like the report says.  Been to a few mulock heaps that were rich in species however the main loads where what was concentrated on.  Good for us folks nowadays :)  Saw plenty of examples of it in Victoria AU and here in the desert southwest US.

Some of the best examples of crystals are found with macro/micro photography.  For good size bits like the one pictured you may be able to burn them out for a small mount.

• Like 1

Yes my backyard is a puzzle to all re geology, it was under the sea thus the sedimentary, limestone, slates etc, but intruded and uplifted during the eons. Lots of granites, you`ll note my photo of rock wallabies on the granites. Thing is you can`t discount anything, I remember at school we were taught granites are purely igneous but now we believe they can be metamorphic, in 10 years they also may prove to be sedimentary (you doubt it so do I but heh), thing is to keep an open mind, only one constant "Gold tis where tis". You name it`s here, minerals, rock type. A hot potch, that has made it one of the richest areas in the world in mineral diversity but very complex and costly to process, after 150 years of mining there has only been one profitable large scale mining venture, the Red Dome or Mungana Mine of the 1990`s, that was thanks in part to Ian Plimer of " A Journey in Stone".

No I could not burn them out and mount, unique and magic as is. Sacrilege. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-625-0-13445300-1432533293_thumb.jpg

Here is a much better shot of speci colours are right

• Like 2