Head Phone Boosters/ Amps?

What is the difference between a head phone amp and a signal booster like the B&Z or the Gold Screamer?

Will one of these make a difference on the SDC?

Thanks.

Dean

I use the B&Z Booster with my SDC.

It's really advertised to just be used with external speakers because of the feedback you get using it with headphones. It can be used with headphones tho, that's how I use it, and you do get some feedback from it. However if you play with it enough, getting the volume just right on the booster and the volume just right on your headphones it isn't too bad. Usually takes me almost an hour of detecting before things get "just right". I think the benefit of having the threshold run louder on the SDC slightly outweighs the annoyance of the feedback because the stock headphone volume on the SDC is ridiculously low. I'm a little hard of hearing so I like the threshold quite loud on my detectors so I can "get in the zone" and focus on any little changes or wavers.

You do end up with a lot of cords tho after you run a cable to the booster down to your detector and have your headphones plugged into the booster as well.

Just makes the wireless feature of the GPZ seem that much more pleasant. I've got no problems with the stock volume on that machine.

I use a BZ booster on my sdc.

When im using headphones in conjunction with a booster I put a volume control in line in between the booster and headphones.

This allows you to eliminate the amp noise by turning the booster on quietly and then turn down the in line volume control until the fuzzy amp noise disappears, then turn up the booster volume to what ever volume you like.

Once you get it right just tape the in line volume control so it dose not move then you only have to use the booster volume to control the volume and the noise is eliminated.

So, is the whole idea of a booster just to increase the volume? And, if  that is the case, will any head phone amp do? There are a ton of them. Some quite cheap and others are very pricey. I read a old post on some obscure forum where a guy said that the booster will help "separate a target signal from the sound of the threshold". Aren't they all just amps? Amplifying ALL of the sound the good and the bad?

Thanks.

Dean

They do just amplify everything, some of the very expensive amps used in the music industry have a semiconductor in them to eliminate the back ground noise. But no amplifier or booster will just amplify targets they amplify everything, noise, signal, threshold.