Metal Detecting Laws And Regs In The USA

Here we have one town where digging is prohibited and glad I checked. Most parks, dog parks, public forests are pretty safe to dig, always fill in your holds and don't leave any trace. In the North East here there are some historic sites that you can't dig.

As far as farms I seek permission, there was one I asked that is city owned and the board said no even though it was in a hat field. Mainly because there are many hacks out there that leave the places a mess.

Most the parks I dig I go even if it's crowded, people don't bother with ya usually and if they ask just say usual pocket change even if you find something cool. That is usually enough info to keep them happy. Many times I talk to the greens keepers because they often have some cool info on the area like when it was re-loamed, if it was a farm at one time etc. If your personable enough and don't look like you just robbed a bank or is trying to dig up a body people generally find it interesting. Even get some leads to help them find lost jewelry.

Some private farms it doesn't hurt to get a couple buddies and offer them a couple bucks to go digging for the day.