New Shoes for Baby & Daddy!

Paul,

There's been some nice nuggets pulled of your name sake ditch! But you have to have the heavy duty all metal picks to dig them out and steel toe boots to kick the BuzzTails guarding the loot...lol

Rick

• Like 1

New tires. If you don't mind, what are the specs on those new tires you folks are using. I spent a little time in N. NV last year and lucked out with no flats on my 6 plys, but thinking about an upgrade.

Looks like 10 ply on the sticker of Lucky's tires.

Hi hawkeye,

I don't really know to much about off road tires, but the Nevada desert is teaching me some lessons. I called a couple of tire shops looking for the most aggressive tire I could find to fit my old ml 500, they got a laugh... There was not very many choices based on the stock 17" wheels and limited tire clearance from the springs. I wanted the goodyear mt/r Kevlar, but they don't make one to fit my ride. The best I could find was the Goodyear wrangler dura max lt truck 10 ply on the tread, 245/70r 17. They run around $210 plus all the charges they tack on to the bill. The reviews are ok and the ride seems ok on the pavement, they hum a bit, but I kind of like the noise and it makes me feel more off road ish driven bown the boulevard.

Last month I nearly got stuck trying to get down a very steep dirt road, actually down was no problem... Up hill was the challenge. I even had to drag out my hand winch at one point to get out of a jam and away from the cliff edge of the road. Blasting up the road as fast as I could and I nearly stalled out several times, but finally made it back out. I'm hoping these tires are a big improvement over my old street ms treads.

Anyone have any experience with the duramax tires out in the desert? I saved two of my old tires for extra spares now I just need to pick up a used rim or two and I'm set for the next hunt.

Art,

Your trusty Mercedes must look sharp with them new tires! For a little bigger tires look into some bigger air bags to lift it up a bit. But those new 245/70's are just fine, GoodYear Wranglers are great tires!

Rick

Thanks Rick, ya, she looks down right sporty with them meatier treads. I'll give them a good test in June, my wife will be in China for a month and I'm gonna romance the zed while she's out of town... I'm going to cowboy it around downieville and n Nevada, or where ever the urge points me. Hope to have your kind of good luck on the yellow stuff, but know I need to learn a lot a pay my dues first.

Good huntin out there...

Clark

Thanks guys for the feedback. Last time in NV I was so spooked by the flat tire stories I had plugs, slime bombs, and a little 12v air compressor ;-). Of course, nothing happened with all that stuff onboard.

Rated pg 35 for silliness.

My new detecting boots  arrived on UPS. Boy will my wife be impressed! Oh No- my wife! she's going to want to know how I paid for them.

so I called up a good buddy who said anytime I needed extra work to let him know (he pumps septic tanks)

We went out to an overflowed tank surrounded by mud of the worst kind and I dug up the lids for him. He paid me about what the boots cost.

When I got home I took of my rubber boots and put on my new detecting boots and went into the house.

Hi honey I'm home. notice anything new?

I noticed your covered with mud and smell like s---.Take those clothes off there on the porch and go take a shower before your dinner gets cold.

SHE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE MY NEW BOOTS! So I made a plan.

I took off ALL my clothes and put my new boots back on and went back in the house.

Well, honey, now do you notice anything?

I noticed your "thing" hanging down like always. That made me angry!

Well, I said, Perhaps my "thing" is looking at my new detecting boots!

Well, she said, Perhaps you should of bought a hat.

• Like 5

Hey guys wanted to put my 2 cents in on the northern nevada tire experience, yea ive been there also.

I have ruined 3 toyos myself in 2 years,all toyo AT'S both generations AT&AT2'S 10 PLY ,sharp is sharp.

there is some damm sharp rock here for certain. I believe 10 ply is absolutely necessary for anything very heavy for sure 3/4&1ton especially. You can probably get by with 8 ply on the lighter vehicle's for awhile in these conditions, my opinion only but i have ran tires in a lot of rock and the heavier the better.

As far as tire manufacturers there are many good tires out nowadays many of them that were toyo michelin goodyear etc,that loose there patent after so many years and someone else picks it up and calls it something different and usually way cheaper now for the same tire.it doesnt always have the big name.

Deathray is running the Dick Cepek tires i see i always wanted to try some of those they have been around for many years and had some mean offroad rock tires. The ideal thing is if a guy WANTED to take the time to let the air out of his or her tires to around 20lbs.psi.w hen you leave the blacktop then re air when you return the big road we would have way fewer tire problems and a whole lot more traction and could deflate and inflate still quicker than changing thatdam spare that can be a pain in the butt.

Poor klunker i know where he's coming from also.

• Like 1