So I was out hunting today with my F2 in my backyard. There's a good deal of trash so I ramp up the discrimination all the way. I notice that I will sometimes hear the high pitch beep on the outer portion of my swing, whether it's to the far right or far left. But when I go back and check out it to figure out the exact spot, my F2 picks up nothing. I'll spend a few minutes scanning the area from multiple angles, but I can never repeat the high pitched beep.

What's going on (or what am I doing wrong)?

I don' t know if my swing is a little off, but it wouldn't surprise me if I am raising the coil at least a little bit and making it more of a pendulum. Assuming this was the case, why would pointing my coil off to the side slightly create a false signal? If anything, it should make it less likely I would get any signal, right? I'm only asking so I can gain a better understanding of how everything works.

I don't recall if I had the same problem when I lowered the sensitivity, but I don't think I did. The next time I'm out hunting, I'll try to pay attention to this.

Thanks for your help!

The reason I max out the sensitivity is because there's so much trash in my backyard that if I have little or no discrimination, my detector will literally beep every other swing in certain areas. Additionally, so many of the targets are so close together that once I dig up a plug, I have a lot of trouble using my detector to find whatever is in the hole (or plug) due to the detector picking up nearby objects that are either under the plug or right next to it or the hole (I'm about to order a pinpointer to remedy this).

And yes, my coil cable is very secure with no movement.

Once again, your advice is very helpful, thanks.

What sized coil are you currently using, might be time to invest in a smaller coil to deal with what sounds like very junky ground - will also allow for much easier pinpointing.  Might also pay to slow down your swing speed if going too fast in junky ground, might be a case of the detector being a little overwhelmed processing/discriminating a large number of targets during your sweep.  Not sure what the recovery speed is like on the F2, though I know if you sweep too quick with something like the older Ace 250, you can sometimes get a delayed signal response if working too quickly through junk/iron.  

Thanks for the all the advice. 

I'm pretty sure I'm getting signals all the time because there's so much trash in the soil (rather than EMI or mineralized soil). I'm not 100% sure, because when I dig a plug and can't find anything, half the time is because I give up because I don't have a pinpointer. When it arrives (I've decided to get the Pro-Find 35 thanks to Dr.Tones24K) I'll get a better idea of what's going on.

I don't know the coil size, but I think it's the stock concentric one that's about 10 inches wide. I do have a smaller sniping coil that might do better; I didn't think about using it this afternoon.