Reputable Retailers?

4 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

I'm in the Texas Panhandle. I'm not finding anyone around here that sells equipment. And the 2 local clubs I'm finding may be defunct, as I haven't been able to contact them yet. And given the laws, not looking good for taking up this hobby so far.

Hang in there Trailryder. Someone is bound to come along with suggestions for you. There are people here from all over, perhaps someone from your area as well, now that they know where you are.

It really does not take much to start. A simple inexpensive detector, some simple tools. a little reading, putz a little and see if the bug bites you. I used to recommend a Tesoro Compadre to begin, but Tesoro seems MIA these days. Look on the Craigslist for your area under metal detector. Something might fall in your lap. Whatever you choose, a simple machine is best to start, and some patience while you learn.

Gerry has clients all over the. Ive lost track how many detectors ive bought from. He will do trades as well. He will give you free training when you buy certain gold detectors...you may even find a gold nugget. He has experience metal detecting everything from relics to rings to gold and knows what detector will work best for your situtation. 

Strick

• Thanks 1

TrailRyder42,  Welcome to one of the longest lasting and most reputable metal detecting forums that offers many categories.  There are hundreds of dealers out there to choose from.  Each has their spin on how they operate.  With my customers, it is trying to get the right detector for their needs/desires and styles of hunts they want to pursue.   There is a reason you can not purchase a detector from my website, as I prefer to speak with and ask you many questions.  Your answers will help narrow down the 180+ models of detectors I sell, to a select few..very quickly.  We'll then talk Pro/Con's of each and eventually get the right one for you.

Some dealers offer so called free accessories to try to make their package look best, but are those items needed and or even any good quality?  Detector Knowledge is a major factor in ones Success and if you don't have it, then find a dealer who does.  A select few dealers offer Hands on Field Training, do Education Videos, write articles for magazines, post to the forums and test detectors for a variety of manufactures. 

Don't be afraid to call a few dealers and ask questions.  You'll get a gut feeling of the ones who can actually answer technical questions and the ones who just want to make a quick sale.

I consider the purchase of a detector as an investment and you should feel the dealer has your best interest long term.

Hopefully you find a golden dealer.

• Like 5

Fun in the sun, and everyone is happy, happy, happy - great find and great video!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I of course buy all my gear from Alaska Mining & Diving Supply :smile:

8CB6C96E-216F-4649-93D9-278406BA9F3C.png

They are super, did just what they said.

I second Gerry and Rob's businesses. Great, super honest guys to work with especially if you are into nugget shooting and want field training.

If you are looking for good deals on slightly used or new all purpose detectors Gerry, Rob, River Team 6, Backwoods Metal Detecting, Metal Detecting Stuff, Show Me Treasure  and Serious Detecting all offer used quality detectors at good prices on their websites and on eBay. I've had good luck dealing with them through the years.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trailryder 42

In the state of Texas you can hunt any historical site if privately own and you got permission to do so . I don’t care what property you hunt on just get permission. You can hunt on school grounds and I’ve yet to get ran off but make sure to cover your holes up .

On dealers if you plan on nugget hunting be sure to deal with one that’s in gold country. The guys have already named some great dealers to work with.

I call home in San Antonio and been at this longer than you are old . That’s if the 42 is for your age . If true you still got baby fat .

Chuck 

• Thanks 1

Two dealers that have been exceptional for purchase are:

1. Bart at bigboyshobbies.com

2. Wayne at metaldetectingstuff.com

and I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing from:

3. Gerry at gerrysdetectors.com

• Like 3