Silly Question, Who Uses a Bungee?

Hip-stick have to investigate, am finding 4 hours continuous with the GPZ is near my limit with just a bungee. It used to be there was not enough daylight in a day, just have to learn to age gracefully, I guess. Ddancer I don`t see it as a silly question, now using a scoop!!!! :)  Only joking JP put down the axe.

• Like 1

Hip-stick have to investigate, am finding 4 hours continuous with the GPZ is near my limit with just a bungee. It used to be there was not enough daylight in a day, just have to learn to age gracefully, I guess. Ddancer I don`t see it as a silly question, now using a scoop!!!! :)  Only joking JP put down the axe.

Norvic,

Send me your address and I send you a hipstick...my buddy Chris P. makes them---we live in NV. (part time)---- try it you ll like it!!!-----

paul

Vanursepaul, Many thanks for your offer I have PM`d my address.

Hi All

I use a bungy & hip-stick with, SDC, SD2200 & recently GPZ for me it does not matter what size coil I use I will use these 2 items to enable me to better control the swing & prevent any strain!!!!

IMHO the "Hip-Stick" is the number one accessory for gold prospectors, if you have not used one then "Seriously" give it a try!!!!!!!!! I am sure you will be surprised how effective it is.

The new style harness from Minelab with J strut & chest cross piece in my opinion is just not practical, as when I tried it I simulated a dig & the cross piece jammed into my biceps.

cheers

Lee

Hi Dave

I can't see myself ever using the Minelab harness as it is not versatile enough for me, example it has no real storage for other equipment! 

In regards to the set-up described by UTBN I think the bungee around the top of the handle would provide greater support & lateral stability as it sort of hangs the detector, but also this makes the section of bungee below the handle redundant & therefore bringing the fulcrum point closer to the operator which increases the weight on the hand/ arm.

I am considering a combination of the 2 systems, with 2 bungees to better balance the unit, as long as it does not make it more awkward.

cheers

Lee

I know I`ve found to have bungee conx just below the GPZ handle, is at centre of hand swing there so your not fighting the bungee but still have coil on ground throughout swing. Is a bit annoying to your small finger there, so must try it under screen as davsgold post.

I am using a Camelback style rucksack with the GPZ bungee attached to the right shoulder. Not as bulky as the full Minelab harness and seems to provide me with sufficient support for long days of detecting. While also giving me a ready water supply and place for emergency gear.

Hehh :P Man do I feel a bit foolish.  Been trying to figure out a way to set the bungee for a while so I would not hit my fingers as well as hit the balance right.... such a simple solution.  Many Thanks.   I guess its not such a silly question after all.

I started using the plastic harness that came with my GPZ and I have it clipped onto the front of my Camelbak. Then I hook the bungee onto that. Just started using it last weekend and I was amazed how easy it made swinging the GPZ. I've never used a bungee before with my other detectors, shoulda started awhile ago. I was atleast able to get another hour or two out of detecting and now the tough part for me is just the digging, not the swinging.

Hi Davsgold, 

Have been following the evolution of this way of using the bungie to balance out the 7000 on one of the OZ forums.

I actually was able to try it out today in the Minelab USA showroom here in Chicago.

As it happened, one of the GPZ's upper case designers was there.

He brought out his 7000, put on his vest, wrapped the bungie

the way it is in your picture and was flat-out amazed.

He couldn't believe the difference in the balance.

I am sure the HipStick will work as well with this way of balancing as well.

I asked him is the upper case was strong enough to handle the additional stresses

of the bungie wrapped like this and he unequivocally said, yes.

Thanks for posting the pics over here too,

it will be Interesting to see what others think. 

• Like 1