Bear It.... I Dare You... You Dirty Swinger.

When you get a not so great high tone on the Equinox, but it is above most trash and reads below most coins...do you dig it?

Well I did just that yesterday and pulled this little Bear (#18) from about 5". 

Lets see your odd # dirty swinger find.

Bear.jpg

Bear1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Here’s one. Although a clear tone I questioned digging it. The target turned out to be a Four Roses tin whisky cup from the late 1800’s to the early 1900’s.

My wife found one in great condition on eBay with the original bottle.

24E1AF36-6045-4F99-8D10-4BBF106A5002.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Gerry… I don’t own an Equinox but I think that you’re also asking what sort of items we normally expect to find if we dig signals that target ID generally in the screwcap range. That is to say the target ID range that lies between upper pulltab and zinc penny range. 

I dig all targets in the screwcap range because there are many unpredictable, interesting or unusual items within that conductive range. That’s not to say that we don’t find our share of trash such as aluminum junk and discarded screwcaps, costume jewelry including cheap plated rings, infrequent broken watches, knives and utensils, all damaged to some extent from years of exposure to ground moisture in concert with various soil chemistries.

On the other hand, this target ID range produces commemorative tokens, the large Victoria, Edward VII and George V Canada One Cent coins, and our silver half-dimes. It also produces a variety of generally smaller sterling silver jewelry such as small silver rings, pendants and charms. We occasionally detect larger silver rings that fall into screwcap range because they have become disconnected where originally sized to one’s finger. Of course other valuables such as gold rings do occasionally surface, but these are a far more rare occurrence in that particular target ID range.

I’ve doubtless not mentioned many other items that fit into the screwcap range. Thanks for a nifty, interesting thread Gerry. :smile:

20190329_232301.jpg.c50380cfa891a64d610a259a5b28b98b.jpg

• Like 8

BeachHunter,  Does that cool whiskey sip cup say "Antique"?  Nice dig either way.

Jim,  You are right on target my friend.  I agree digging those mid high tones and especially when at an old site.  In fact if I am at an 1800's to 1940's site that has not been in use since, I actually dig all Non Ferrous targets.  Your saves are beautiful and I enjoy the small sterling charms too.

When detecting old parks and schools, I don't dig the mid high tones unless they read deeper on the depth indicator.  Here is an E-Trac find that reads mid/hi, a monster 10K yellow gold class ring and even on the Equinox, it is usually an 18 and sometimes a 17 reading.  I typically would not dig those #'s at the park, but it was deeper than most of the tabs.  

Detecting site/location also has to do a little with the tones/#'s I investigate.

Thanks for sharing guys.

16Ring3.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Gerry… I’m glad that you mentioned utilizing the depth meter. I was tempted to earlier, but decided not to venture too far away from your initial thread topic. Once I’ve isolated a signal the first order of business is to precisely pinpoint, carefully measure the target depth, and then evaluate the target signal. That information enables me to decide whether or not to dig it!!!

The depth meter generally has a major impact on decision-making for most areas and most target ID range targets. I search for deeper silver coins as a rule of thumb, but not always. If the signal is shallow but reads penny / dime range I dig it in hopes of a silver ring, pendant or an infrequent bracelet. There are so many potentially productive coin-hunting sites that it is not rational or even possible to dig every coin signal, particularly not shallow coin signals. Nowadays in Ontario those shallow signals are mostly comprised of iron and not worth digging.

By comparison, when hunting impermeable clay dominant substrates where coins don’t settle deeply, the depth meter really has little or no value. The older parks and picnic areas with high clay content soils in Toronto normally produce silver at very shallow depths. As noted previously, I tend to dig all signals in the screwcap range because silver jewelry can be had at any depth. Again this strategy is tempered by the soil conditions, insofar as targets will quickly drop out of detection range in dark moist soils characterized by a higher detritus content. In such conditions, the depth meter comes to the fore.

Men’s gold rings are much more common within the extended pulltab range. One has to be circumspect about where we pursue these signals. Well groomed city parks and picnic areas that feature extensive gardens are productive places to hunt, as are sports fields, volleyball courts, baseball outfields, relaxation areas adjacent to tennis courts, and so forth. The depth meter is as important here as it is for the silver coin range because we wish to focus on the deeper targets, presuming that heavier gold will sink beyond lighter aluminum targets more quickly over time. Again, you’ve got to be selective primarily based on target depth, because you cannot afford the time to dig it all. 

I used the same strategy with the foil and nickel ranges but never realized much success for the time / effort. It produced quantities of foil of every description, nickels, costume jewelry, and a few thin gold rings that barely warranted digging in well-groomed, upscale neighborhood city parks. Responsible detectorists must be selective about where and how often to dig in such environs, or risk eviction by park staff. Mind you, I did recover two handsome ladies diamond rings (one 18K with a modest .35 carat diamond in a platinum setting now resides in the wife’s jewelry box), so I shouldn’t complain too much I suppose.

Eventually I abandoned hunting gold on land and turned to water hunting for better results. That decision dramatically increased the gold finds for the time and effort spent doing so. I do enjoy the environs and the rewards, but for me water detecting is a crushing bore compared to prospecting or coin hunting.

A few months ago I mentioned to you that central Ontario has countless, high usage beach / swimming areas. Within a few hours of my home in central Ontario, there are numerous such sites available to water hunters. Yearly gold renewal has improved because there has been an increase in 22K jewelry recovered at sites closer to Toronto, primarily Lake Simcoe beaches. Nowadays I search Lake Simcoe’s eastern beaches because these see intensive day use from Toronto and nearby large population centers. Moreover the prevailing westerly winds have created extensive troughs between the sandbanks that run parallel to the shoreline. Gold lost in these “collection” troughs is much easier to visually locate, and this is true even using a headlamp at night. Targets can easily be cleanly scooped from the relatively sandless, smooth hard bottoms. There is no need to concern myself with target ID or depths out in the water. I dig it all.

With early retirement, lately I’ve focused more on prospecting for native silver. It combines a natural interest in the northern wilds with that of detecting potentially valuable silver. I also thoroughly enjoy mineralogy generally, and eastern Ontario possesses a spectacular mining history and terrific mineral diversity, particularly the famous Bancroft areas. One of the few places globally where a mineral explorer can find and recover specimen grade fluor-richterite. As recently as a trip to the lower Algonquin area early last December 2018, I held a softball size, handsome museum quality specimen in my trembling but eager hands. Well no I didn’t actually find it in the deep, forbidding winter snows, but providentially the general store had several on display!!! And a nicely provisioned snack bar too!!!

Almost forgot to comment on the beautiful class ring that you posted above. An unusual looking piece, you invariably post interesting and sometimes extraordinary items. WTG on digging that signal, most impressive given the circumstances. The photo below leaves no doubt about my metal detecting interests… ..........Jim.

20190322_225152.jpg.11c190a2e473b057666d6a79aa5f8cad.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gerry,

Yes it does say Antique on the crushed version as well. Identicle to the uncrushed cap.

The Paul Jones Bottle pictured, I believe, is prepro. Pre Prohibition..

• Like 2

Jim,  I too am glad you added extra flavor of knowledge to the conversation.  Power posts will only help the newer detectorists become better and when you/I get older and not be able to swing as often, we'll be reading the next generation of young guns and viewing their treasure saves.  For now, we both still have the swing in us and you certainly back it up with your delicious recipe and artwork photos.  All 4 finds are Top Shelf quality and I especially like the native AG.

BeachHunter,  Just having the word "Antique" makes it so cool of a find, but then to back it up with another and the Pre Pro bottle is another eye catcher.  I imagine your man cave is worthy of a few hours viewing/discussion and dreams.

Thanks for sharing guys.

• Like 1