Ganes Creek Gold From 2004

Very nice gold nugget jewelry Bob...and it would look good around anyone's  neck.

I did the same thing and had one made for my dad.  He is the guy who got me started into metal detecting in the early 70's.

Here is one of my Ganes Creek, AK finds.

Ganes7.JPG

• Like 8

Gerry, I like the way you took that photo against the sky. Thanks everyone and thanks Steve for your photos and story. Like you said "good old days"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. gotta throw mine in too... this is from Steve Herschbach, Jeff Reed and myself.  I think this was our first trip in there(?)  Maybe you'd remember Steve.

Ganes Creek Gold #3.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had an almost embarrassing run of luck that weekend! :smile:

Tell me about it.. I remember! :wacko::laugh:

I read Steve's story....Thats just ridiculous...low mineralized ground..... gold everywhere...even potato sized gold :biggrin:...what a great experience. Maybe some day they will open it back up?  but since all you fellas did so well maybe the owners did the math and closed it to the public because of that? 

strick 

Ganes Creek ran for ten years as a pay-to-mine operation - there are several more Ganes Creek stories on the website about the place. Over 1000 ounces of gold nuggets and specimens found by visitors in that ten years including several nuggets weighing over a pound! Our visit got the ball rolling and so was the start rather than the end.

The scale of Ganes Creek commercial operations made the pay-to-mine pale by comparison. The last thing they were worried about was visitors finding too much gold. Just the opposite - when it got down to where people were having to work too hard for “too little gold” then the place got shut down. I don’t expect it will reopen to the public though commercial operations continue to this day. Between Ganes Creek and my own Moore Creek operation a “golden age” of nugget detecting was possible for visitors to Alaska. Opportunities still exist but nothing even close to what those two operations produced.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I miss going to Ganes cr. They had it all going for them, with the great people and super gold hunting. The Ganes crew was top notch. The provided good lodging, food, and dug many yards of gold bearing dirt for us with the large Cats. I sure miss going up there.

• Like 1

Ganes Creek and Moore Creek were my most favorite places to go nugget hunting in Alaska. I met Steve in Vegas once and then again on my first trip to Ganes  while visiting his store with the Whites rep Steve Houston. Found many, many ounces of gold detecting at both places. Hospitality and comforts for the clients was their first priorities, next came the Gold....As Steve says the "golden age" of detecting is over at those places which is really sad. I have been trying to make a trip up to Alaska every year and in 2018 a friend and I went to AKAU in Nome, found closer to 10 ounces and had a great time. We will try again this year. Thanks Steve for the memories..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Guys,

Moores Creek was always fun.  I sure miss taking groups of electronic prospectors up there to see Steve and others.  I think I did 2-3 years worth when it first stated.  Here are a few pictures to share, unfortunately I never got a real big one up there.  

The last picture was from Gaines Creek.  

Picture 063.jpg

moorecreekgroup02.jpg

moorecreekgroup01.jpg

Picture 110.jpg

• Like 4