Andy Sabisch New Equinox Book

On 3/4/2020 at 8:01 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Sandi,

I know Andy (I teach detecting boot camp classes with him).  I will reach out to him and have him send you a signed book on me.  PM me with your address and I'll have one sent out.  And let me know who you want it signed to: you, your husband, Nate, or both of you.

Chase

Class act..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Great Book but theirs always a But the problem is the on-line reference guide is no longer available so I can't get updates or use it for tool that stays current as some of the book is outdated. Received the book 3/15/2020  

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good book. The only part I caution people about is using the settings that he mentions from other 800 users. You need to lern to set up your own settings for each of your situations. Using other's settings in your situations can lead to a de-tuned 800. I fell into this trap in 2018 for 2-3 months before I saw the light and listed to many detectorists who told me to learn to set my own 800 up according to my particular hunting site. For instance a guy might be hunting CW relics in South Carolina with very mild soil and not much modern junk and give you his settings. Yet you may be in a CW relic site with much different conditions like soil and much more junk and his settings will just not work for you. LEARN TO UNDERSTAND AND SET YOUR OWN SETTINGS. ALL OF THEM. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE EFFORT.

Again this is the only part of the book I disagree with.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 7:09 PM, maxxkatt said:

It is a good book. The only part I caution people about is using the settings that he mentions from other 800 users. You need to lern to set up your own settings for each of your situations. Using other's settings in your situations can lead to a de-tuned 800. I fell into this trap in 2018 for 2-3 months before I saw the light and listed to many detectorists who told me to learn to set my own 800 up according to my particular hunting site. For instance a guy might be hunting CW relics in South Carolina with very mild soil and not much modern junk and give you his settings. Yet you may be in a CW relic site with much different conditions like soil and much more junk and his settings will just not work for you. LEARN TO UNDERSTAND AND SET YOUR OWN SETTINGS. ALL OF THEM. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE EFFORT.

Again this is the only part of the book I disagree with.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, lost said:

So true

Andy is the FIRST ONE to tell you to not use other people's settings unless you know what the settings do.  I know this because I teach detector boot camp instructional sessions with him.  His book takes you through all the settings, what they do and why they do it.  Provided you take the time to read the book thoroughly he arms you with the requisite knowledge you need to understand the custom setups people volunteered to include in his book (rather than keep them hidden like cold war secrets).  It is up to the reader to choose to not just blindly go and set up their machine with settings they do not understand.  For this reason, I see no reason to disagree with including the myriad of custom setups (including my contribution) because knowledge is power and you may actually learn something from the description of why people set their machines up in the manner they did.  No harm as long as you apply them with your brain turned on.

• Like 2

I appreciate Hugh's response as it provided the message I woudl have posted myself.

The point of including programs from users around the world ALONG WITH THE REASON THEY MADE  THE ADJUSTMENTS THEY DID was to avoid people simply blindly loading programs without understanding the why behind them.  By looking at the settings and seeing what was changed from the factory presets, one can adapt them to their area, their preferences and their ground conditions.

The book provides an overview of each function and that combined with the programs and explanations provided should help accelerate the learning curve.  I have found that often driving even 20 miles from one site to another requires tweaks to settings but if you understand the function of each, that takes seconds to get dialed in and finding targets.

Hope this clarifies the purpose of the programs in the book and how best to use them for your applications

Andy Sabisch

• Like 3

I’ve searched everywhere for a copy of Andy’s book in Australia with no luck. Any ideas guys? None on EBay nor Amazon Aus. I can buy US but shipping is often twice as much a Andy’s book. Any help appreciated - would love to read this being a new NOX owner.

13 minutes ago, Fossiker said:

I’ve searched everywhere for a copy of Steve’s book in Australia with no luck. Any ideas guys? None on EBay nor Amazon Aus. I can buy US but shipping is often twice as much a Steve’s book. Any help appreciated - would love to read this being a new NOX owner.

Steve's book?

• Sad 1