Tinnitus And Detecting! Any Suggestions?

For those of you that don't know me I recently had a severe volume spike in my tinnitus due to my 50% bilateral hearing loss. I've had the ringing for the last 10 years at a very very low tone that was only noticed if I listened for it, now it's on a whole other level. To explain the ringing, it pretty much sounds like the threshold of a GPX on full blast in your head. This weekend I tried to go swinging the Monster and GPX 5000 and found it to be very difficult to concentrate on listening to the machines as my brain was affixed to the ringing in my ears. Im hoping new hearing aids this week with a better masking tone will help. Any suggestions from anybody else who has tinnitus on what they do to enhance there detecting time to make it more enjoyable? -Mike

• Thanks 1

Same hearing problem, 50% hearing loss on right side. 2 people talking to me at the same time,... can only make out fragments of the conversation.

My tinnitus gives me more trouble when my stress level is up there.

Best isolating earphones I can get, best sounding detectors I can get. Nothing to do with volume. It needs to get that threshold tone/level and target tone just wright.

Can’t stand a hearing aid,... no use in blasting every sound above the tinnitus with me. Just drives me nuts. Quiet rooms, quiet cars and no modern music. Modern music is designed to be audible in a noisy world. Haven’t turned the car radio on in 20 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scoopjohnb said:

. Haven’t turned the car radio on in 20 years.

Your car has a RADIO?

After a lifetime of chain saws, heavy equipment and loud toys I am now having to pay for it as I nearly failed the hearing part for my last commercial drivers license medical exam. I didn't realize my hearing had deteiorated that much All I can do is play with tones and volumes and pay closer attention.

• Haha 1

66 years old :rolleyes: now , have been suffering from it since 18-20 yrs. old. So bad at times I avoid any social contact.
Detector Pro's "Blackwidows" headphones "only way to go"
You can dial them in to fit yer ears left an right an still pick out faint deep ones. 
I went without them for a few years and my detecting suffered from it.
I just got back into a pair recently (Thanks Ridgerunner) and am LOVIN the crisp sounds.
I have used practically every pair of phones out there, even various  earbuds, it seems nothing compares for my tinnitus.
With Blackwidows, the only time I have Tinnitus now is when I TAKE them OFF !  :nugget:

IN CASE some are not aware,...Blackwidow headphones were designed and built for the hearing impaired.
They are not just another headphone.
https://detectorpro.com/black-widow-headphones/

• Like 2

You might try the SteelPhase sP01 Audio enhancer. It has different sound profiles on it. I have tinnitus real bad also with hearing loss. It helps me.

• Like 1

My tinnitus normally sounds like summer cicadas singing in the background most of the time.   Kind of makes me feel like its a late summer afternoon all the time.   Only affects one ear though and is more noticeable when its quiet.  The hearing loss is more of a bother than the singing cicadas as I can't locate the rattlesnake's location without moving around to triangulate with my one good ear.  HA!   

Just dialing in the right threshold tone pitch works wonders, and varying it through out the hunt a little.  After an hour or so it sort of fades out and I need to change it up.  

Tone Id is nice. 
Good luck.

HH
Mike

• Like 3