Eqx/gm 1000 Shaft Hack & Counterbalance Weights

Just by coincidence, this 25mm * 23mm carbon fiber tube fits both models, so it's a "win win".  I needed a 1" * 7/8" tubing clamp to make the conversion complete.  I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes and not have them line up, so I used the "GM 1000 clamp on" cuff.  As you can see, I trimmed off about 4" of the mid EQX section.  I wrapped sand paper around the cf tube and slowly increased the clearance in the handle/clamp combo, until I was happy with the fit.  Total un-extended length is 25", and could be less if you remove the coil.  

As for the counter-balance weights, it's just another happy coincidence.  The washers fit like a glove (.90"), and by adding an over-sized washer, I can move the weight in or out of the shaft.  That 1.5" bolt with 14 washers weighs about 4 ounces, and is infinitely adjustable with regards to length, weight, and positioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-Tube-Wrapped-Surface/dp/B07DH8WYQQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=carbon+fiber+tube&qid=1554147132&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/i/123165031900?rt=nc&var=423574663558&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dae995979ba42462ea30ceb0bda2fd5d5%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D122309026322%26itm%3D423574663558

Happy swinging.

Brett

eqx2.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Voyager32 said:

I would like to see and hear more about your conversion, looks great, but didn’t quite understand what was involved with the parts and process 

Could you be a bit more specific?  Which model do you have?

Brett

On 4/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, Voyager32 said:

I have the Equinox 600

From pic right to left.  I didn't want to have to try and duplicate the drill hole pattern in EQX shaft, so I used my clamp-on arm cuff from the GM 1000.  I drilled one hole in the carbon fiber replacement shaft (link above) to accept the "positioning nub" in the EQX hand grip.  I reduced the height of said nub until I was able to slide the next shaft sections past.  Next you have a couple choices - longer screws to compensate for larger diameter tube, or judicious use of sandpaper.  I chose the latter.  I wrapped sandpaper around the cf shaft and slowly removed material from inside the clamp area until I was happy with the fit, and felt reasonably comfortable the screws would be secure.  Finally I added the telescoping tube clamp (link above).  That covers the top section.

Next, I cut off about 4" of the mid section (the crimped part).  I also no longer need the push button release.  I think that's it?  As you can see, it collapses down to 25" - it barely fits in my carry-on bag, but it fits.  I don't think I would travel with the coil on though.

It's weird with Minelab - I have three straight shaft models (4500, EQX, GM 1000) and it really seems that shaft design is a total afterthought?  The fixed length on the GM  makes the d*mn thing so front heavy you need the bungee - reduce the shaft length and it swings like the EQX.  Why did they crimp the mid section on the EQX?  All the components are there to make it fully collapsible - i.e. locking collar.  Just perform a couple mods at the factory and man, the EQX would be too sexy for it's own good?  Minelab, are you paying attention?  I'll gladly consult with you for a small fee?  Thanks.

Brett  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, Voyager32 said:

I have the Equinox 600

The investment is minimal, and I'm confident if you had those 2 pieces sitting in front of you, it would make sense, if this doesn't?  You don't have to cut the mid section, unless you want to make a "Micro-Nox" like Steve Hirschbach's.

Brett