Orx 9" Round Coil Depth Comparison

kac

I hit various areas and in the big fields been using the AT Pro with a Nel Big 17x15 coil. Buddy of mine just got the AT MAX with stock coil and goes just as deep as the Pro with the big.

How does the ORX compare to the MAX? Does it have an All Metal Mode? 

I like the idea of something super light and the choice of frequencies as the AT Pro doesn't find really small gold targets with it's low freq.

Check out some of Calabas Digger's YouTube videos.  He has at least one showing depth test with the 9" found coil.

If those were the comparisons posted here they were on the AT Gold with small coil and machines tested at different frequencies so comparison is not useful.

Thanks

I wish that I could help you more.  I have the 9" elliptical on my ORX.  I've heard the round is a little deeper than the elliptical.  I haven't used the ORX enough yet to give a firm opinion on depth.  My brother did dig a minie ball at 9" with his ORX with the elliptical coil.  On my last hunt I took a tape measure with me and some of the minie balls I dug were around 7 to 8 inches max.  The site has mild soil and nearly no trash.

The ORX is basically my back-up detector.  I usually switch to it when my arm gives out swinging the equinox.

• Like 2

I'll try to find out more, my guess is it would do a bit better than the AT Pro with stock coil and guessing it could hit a quarter ok at 12" Last year I picked up the 1805 Reale at 14" down with the AT but could barely hear it. Friend of mines MX Sport hit it about the same but a little less steady signal but that could have been his settings. I'm torn between getting a MAX and be able to use my coils or go for something really light and easier to poke around the woods with less wires to snag up. Also seeing the ORX has a beach mode it might be a good general purpose machine for me in the North East.

Thanks

• Like 1

The AT Pro was my primary detector until I got the Equinox and the ORX.  Most of my sites are full of old iron and nails.  On these types of sites I would prefer the equinox or the ORX over the AT. I found that these two machines have much better separation in heavy iron  than the AT.  The recovery speed on the AT is much too slow.  

What type of sites do you hunt?

Some old farms, wooded areas that used to be farms and for parks and really heavy trash areas I use my Tejon as it picks up on tiny jewelry really well. Tejon has a relatively slow recovery speed but separation is really nice. Iron an can slag is no issue for it but the smaller concentric coil is a little small in the big open fields.

I used to have the tejon also with the small coil.

I found my first silver with the ORX today. A 1853 half dime.

• Like 3

Have you used your ORX in the salt? Curious how well it does. The Tejon is pretty good on damp sand and dry sand but there are areas that is impossible to gb. The AT Pro tends to light up in the 50's in many of the beaches here though does a bit better in the wet with the big coil and better with stock in the dry sand. AT Pro tends to hit if your lucky 8" down in the wet with stock coil and forget about hearing any small targets, smaller than a dime.