Orx 9" Round Coil Depth Comparison

kac

Not finding much on beach performance on the orx, only bit I saw was some videos was some guy in the UK on a gravel beach and some deus videos with poor performance and god knows what khz they were using (guessing the highest they could based off the falsing and inability to gb them. Very frustrating to get honest comparisons and tests on any machine. Are people just complete twits or they always show a bias on machines? What ever happened to apples to apples?

• Like 1

The only way to get good, accurate metal detector comparison videos is to do them yourself. The Orx just came out so expecting tons of videos delivering the exact kind of content you desire is probably premature. And nobody has ever considered the Orx to be a “beach detector” anyway so that’s about the last video I would expect to see.

My own opinion is the saltwater beach, if you are halfway serious about it, is the place for a multifrequency machine or a pulse induction detector. The Orx will be just as poor on a saltwater beach as any detector running at a single frequency. It is inherent in the technology. 

• Like 2

As Steve say you better do it yourself has I compare the deus/ORX(or any othertop end machine) as a sport bike ,same bike same lap distance and different rider=different time/lap.

The round coil is on my opinion less sensitive to big rusty bits.The elliptical coil need to be restricted(lots of discri ) to excel in high trash (Ferrous) area.But I guess it will be more sentive to small gold bits.the 9" is I think the best coil ever made for the Deus.

I am testing it at the moment in full blast with success.Same settings different scoils differents targets I wont even start to talk about the frequencies it is another subject

Hope that help

RR

• Like 3

If the ORX is anything like the Deus on wet sand, then you'll probably have to manually adjust the ground balance down to salt to have any chance of it running stable - also with some lowering of the sensitivity to suit.  My main VLF for wet sand/water is the Racer 2, it does actually manage to ground balance using ground grab, unlike the Deus.  Even then, as with most VLF detectors you do end up compromising on depth as a trade off for stability.

On the upside the Deus does get good depth on the dry sand, I managed to pick out over 60 coins at one stage after some storms had eroded away the face of the sand hills.  Only when you start to transition from the dry down to the damper sand do you start to get falsing, then you have re-adjust the settings all over again for it to remain useable.

As others have mentioned, I very much prefer using multi-frequency at the beach (previously used an Explorer and Etrac) - very stable detectors when transitioning from dry to wet and vice versa, with minimal adjustment to settings.  If you are going to be spending a large chunk of time on the beach, you will be much happier in the long run going to a MF detector - pretty much turn on and go detectors for that scenario.