phrunt

Tiny Gold Hunting With The Equinox 800

"one day.... as long as it doesn't lead to a divorce 🙂"

Just dont tell her how much it costs lol.... the ladies don't need to know all these small details :smile: 

Nice hunt and thanks for the lesson on the nox small coil. I'll be sure to apply your tips if I ever use it for gold. It's a fabulous coil for trashy  relic spots. I could only wish we had mild soil here in N. California. Way to sniff out the small stuff. A big one is headed your way I have a feeling. The only thing you left out was JW's new rig...

strick

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, strick said:

"one day.... as long as it doesn't lead to a divorce 🙂"

Just dont tell her how much it costs lol.... the ladies don't need to know all these small details :smile: 

Nice hunt and thanks for the lesson on the nox small coil. I'll be sure to apply your tips if I ever use it for gold. It's a fabulous coil for trashy  relic spots. I could only wish we had mild soil here in N. California. Way to sniff out the small stuff. A big one is headed your way I have a feeling. The only thing you left out was JW's new rig...

strick

If I could afford a GPZ I'd have one in a second, I'd be on the phone ordering it right now, I couldn't hide 10,000 NZD from my wife, she'd notice that go missing and I'd be in big trouble :laugh:

The great bit about gold hunting though is you can do very well with a much more affordable detector like the Equinox or Gold Monster.  Both are really effective and can find insanely small bits, it's pretty incredible.  I can't decide which of the two I like the best, I really have no idea, both keep surprising me.  I couldn't believe my eyes on that last nugget stuck in the crevice that the Equinox was able to sniff out, the depth it picked up that tiny little thing shouldn't be possible.

You best watch out strick, if you attempt Gold prospecting and find your first nugget with a detector there is no turning back, it's an addiction 🙂

I'm sure JW will put up a photo of his monster truck! It's pretty cool.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You best watch out strick, if you attempt Gold prospecting and find your first nugget with a detector there is no turning back, it's an addiction 🙂

Yes. I know completely what your are talking about. I have also  been afflicted as you are. I wont post any links and derail your thred but take a few minutes and search my past  topics. I'm very happy with my GPZ although last weekend it only found some square nails :blink:

strick

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip strick, I've read many of your old posts now and I'm going to post a link to one of yours as it's a fantastic post! love it!

• Like 2

Hi Simon, Great post & a good account of your day.👍 It is also great that you can now show the proof of us being able to run these high frequency VLF's, Gold monster & the Nox 800, at full max sensitivity in our insanely mild ground & find this tiny gold. I always got the feeling that some didn't really believe I was able to do so. Multi IQ, all metal mode & full max sensitivity is your friend in finding this tiny gold if you can run that hot. You have shown the depth you got some of these & it is quite staggering. I believe you are turning a corner now in your detecting. Nothing like having that kind of result to give your confidence a real boost & have those settings work for you.

What you didn't say about your skunk the next day with the Nox 800 was that where we were you couldn't run in full max sensitivity of 25 & had to settle on 21. Which you told me was still quite noisy but you persevered with it. 18 being more stable but sacrificing what you thought would be too much loss of sensitivity & depth. Going by the ones I got with the Zed on ground you had carefully gone over before me & had not got proves that point. They were at less depth than the ones you got the day before when you were cranked right up. If you had of been able to run flat out at this spot you would have got them for sure.

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I figured I'd go explore further away and leave this area for him and passed a number of old rock piles and an old shovel head.

IMG_20190331_155207.thumb.jpg.2c7696a02f1773daeded76d7cd3b45f7.jpg

IMG_20190331_155331.thumb.jpg.a4d002e344e167ade981b72e53ed184c.jpg

That was an old shovel head I found years back with the GP 3000 & left on top of the rock pile. It came out from that hole in the rock pile just below it. It was buried in among the rocks. I got no gold here with the 3000 or the 4500. The first time I took Simon up here I think he got two pieces of gold with his GM 1000. I got nothing with the GB2.

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John, Yes you're right, I had to lower my sensitivity in the next location as there appeared to be higher mineralisation.  I guess this is why everyone keeps saying every serious prospector needs a PI or GPZ and higher frequency VLF to get it all.   I am pretty satisfied with my GPX 4500 and GM1000/Equinox 800 combination but still know the GPZ is the pinnacle which is proven time and time again watching you dig up these nuggets with it, especially here in NZ where we have small nuggets at depth, that seems to be an area the GPZ truly excels over all other detectors 🙂 

For those who haven't read it this is the story of my first ever successful gold prospecting adventure, KiwiJW took me to show me how to find nuggets, life has never been the same since. I wanted to go back to one of the spots he showed me on my first day and that's exactly what we did with the story above.  I rapidly became addicted to prospecting from that day on.  The Gold Monster did a fantastic job, I was completely a greenhorn knowing absolutely nothing and found more gold on my first day than I've ever found proving not only how good the GM1000 is but how easy it is to use for a beginner.  The creek we were in is a very well known spot that's been detected by every man and their dog many times, some who are known to be quite good prospectors and claimed they had cleaned it out, yet we found a fantastic amount of gold for a NZ creek like this.  It was just over a year ago, I've come a long way 🙂

• Like 7

many thanks for sharing the story. I highly appreciate the input regarding the - minus readings on the VDI. I will be going to California in Sep. 2019 again trying to find my first gold with a MD. This time I'm armed with a SDC2300 and a Nox800. Let's see if there is any gold for me left. Last time being in North CA my Whites GMT was going nuts. I traded it in for a Nox800 and if it can't do the trick due to too much mineralization I hope the SDC2300 can handle it.

• Like 1

Thanks for a fun, interesting, and especially informative post re the Nox! 👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

If I could afford a GPZ I'd have one in a second

Based on the terrain you seem to hunt and the size of the gold available, I would think the GPZ would be complete overkill. A good VLF like the GM1000 or Gold Bug II would be wiser, and you would likely find more gold to.

• Like 1