New White's Treasuremaster & Treasuremaster Pro

There must be a huge market in the $300-ish and lower range of detectors.  Between the new Whites and a few models before them, FTP with Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics, then Minelab's new series, Garrett has a few plus a few others, there sure is a lot of choice.  I've always wondered where the profit margins are best for the companies.  I assumed it was the mid range $300-$1000 market that would provide the largest profits, but maybe not.  I would think the manufacturing costs between a $300 machine and a $800 machine are not really the $500 difference so it would seem the $800 machine would give more margin even with fewer units sold.  I still don't quite get it with Whites marketing and these new machines since they aren't selling them through the big sporting goods stores like the others.  It doesn't seem like they could ever move as many units as FTP or Garrett.  Unless I missed something.

Hi TabMeister,

I'd say you pretty well summed it up. White's is stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. But their dealers need something to compete on the low end and the Prizm and Coinmaster units were lackluster at best. When I was a White's dealer I did not even bother with them and stocked Garrett Aces instead. The Treasuremaster units sport a more modern look, have a very competitive feature list for the price range and will be easy to sell. But you are right - White's avoiding the mass markets in favor of their dealer network, while admirable, now has them looking at the competition selling huge numbers of detectors in channels where White's has no representation at all. Even now with a new detector White's would almost appear more interested in keeping it secret than in building any kind of interest. So it had an issue and will be delayed? So what? Get it on the website and get more information out now.

All kind of academic I guess since I will not ever own one but the industry and its generally dysfunctional operation always fascinates me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leery about purchasing a new on the market detector. I'll wait & see if all the bugs are worked out first & the reviews of first time buyers. I wonder if anybody would actually admit that they were sorry for purchaing a new detector?

I have never really regretted getting any detector. I get detectors all the time with the sole intent of checking them out, only to sell maybe weeks later at a loss. F19 was the last unit I did that with. Cost me a little money, but I got my questions answered. Small price for an education. I get them at a good price though so the loss is minimal.

These days I would recommend anyone wait about six months after any detector is released before purchasing. Glitches in new units is becoming the norm, not the exception these days.

If money is tight buying too soon or on impulse could certainly cause one to be sorry.

• Like 1

Merv;

back in 2005 when Steve opened up Moore Creek to pay-to-mine I decided to get back into nugget hunting. I had sold my gp extreme  and did not have a nugget hunting detector. At that time Eric Foster was developing his Gold scan 5...knowing his reputation and wanting to be cutting-edge I bought one of the first  to hit this country.

For a number of reasons that was a poor choice...I made a huge mistake and paid dearly for that decision. So, yes, I will admit I was very sorry. But, also, I learned a lot about me and detectors.  I got an education albeit for a lot more than a little money.

Fred

The new White's TreasureMaster is now on the White's website at http://www.whiteselectronics.com/treasuremaster and available at select dealers. You can download the owners manual for the TreasureMaster and TreasurePro in this website's download area.

It should not be much longer before the TreasurePro is available.

post-1-0-12268500-1435518585_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-17450100-1435518597_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62976100-1435518606_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-35203500-1435519271_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got to handle a new TreasureMaster briefly a few days ago. I liked the big target id number. Did not like two piece rod design lacking a cam lock. The two piece design limits the maximum length and adjustability.

This is a rare detector under $300 that offers a true threshold based all metal mode. I wish I had checked to see if the on screen target id is functional in all metal - not sure. The TreasureMaster is always running in ground tracking mode. The Pro model allows you to lock the tracking. Ground tracking is another feature rare in detectors under $300. The only other ones I can think of offhand are the new Minelab Go-Find models.

All existing 8.3 kHz Prizm/Coinmaster coils are compatible with the Treasuremasters. A 10" round DD coil is being developed for and will be released with the TreasurePro that will also work on the Treasuremaster. http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?74060-just-a-thought-about-the-new-Treasure-master-Pro&p=971575&viewfull=1#post971575

post-1-0-78857300-1437319807_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-43547400-1437319822_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-60279000-1437319836_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-84085600-1437320113_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-74738800-1437320122_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-49096900-1437320133_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-09471400-1437320143_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-13398900-1437320153_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-21759800-1438454565_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Getting the coils may be another thing. Only the 4" x 6" elliptical and 9" spider coil are shown on the current Whites coil compatibility chart. 950 coils are still being sold but the solid 8" round appears to be discontinued. The 10" DD will be introduced with the TreasurePro, whenever that happens.

post-1-0-88025400-1437424214_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-65411300-1438454649_thumb.jpg

• Like 1