Aussie Gold Hunters Is Epic (don't Spoil It By Reading This Thread)

On 4/7/2019 at 7:41 PM, Randy Lunn said:

Gold and mineral dealers like Tony Fraser in Bendigo, Brian Lees in Colorado, Wayne Leicht of Kristalle in California and others who attend the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show on a regular basis know the market well. If I found a big nugget I would ask them but would also consider an auction. In the US, Heritage Auction would be a good starting point.

You would be surprised how low they pay..they are primarily looking for crystalline gold and will pay anywhere between spot plus half to 6 x spot depending on weight and condition. On gold nuggets..well size does matter..but dont expect much and realize  high end mineral dealers are into making a profit..and it's a business for them.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2019 at 7:41 PM, Randy Lunn said:

Gold and mineral dealers like Tony Fraser in Bendigo, Brian Lees in Colorado, Wayne Leicht of Kristalle in California and others who attend the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show on a regular basis know the market well. If I found a big nugget I would ask them but would also consider an auction. In the US, Heritage Auction would be a good starting point.

Heritage takes a lot of nuggets to market.  I don't know the percentage the owner gets after all is said and done.  I've chatted with the Kristalle folks before and just like all buyers they 'low ball' you to start.  They started well below spot and what I considered an unreasonable offer and they will offer even less if they think you need the money quickly.  They will give you pawn value!   When regular or ugly specimens are dollied up many a gold finder has determined this is their best price.  Premium buyers disappear in favor of opportunity buyers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

I stumbled across it, someone at QED is leaking information to Wikileaks.  It doesn't have the ground balance problems of the Minelab version, it's hard to keep the tractor on the ground with the GPT 8000, but the QED needs to get past the pulley system on the coil and they could probably do a bit better than coal fired steam and a wooden cabin.  Early days I guess.  Good to see some healthy competition.

You are painting it on thick Simon!  haha

The best Aussie Factual Gold Hunting I ever watched was the last year the GoldHounds shot vid.. Too bad the necessity of needing to be a videographer as well as a juggler was cutting sooo deeply into their daily time with ear's on.. That plus considering as little wide angle terrain as they showed other's were still able to determine approx where they were, although I'm not quite sure how those others planned to gain access while still expecting to live to a ripe old age..

Be that as it may, those gents could find some hunka-chunka chunkies! I could easily digest X 44 minute shows a season of them @ hunt & recovery..

Swamp

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure Reg has all the seasons ready to play at a moments notice!  ?

Prospecting lambs. For a tough-sounding and opinionated gent Reg, your sensitive side compliments those traits well. A fun article to read, thanks Phrunt.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

Season 4 has now started! Woohoo!!

Yep, always look forward to watching my gold shows on a Thursday night. Sitting back with a pizza and a good drink and dreaming about how good it would be to get an excavator into some of the old-timer's diggings. The shows may be staged and a bit over the top but who cares its more entertaining watching something that highlights our hobby than most of the other rubbish on free to air tv or Foxtel (cable tv - in Australia)  

• Like 1