Odd Dagger, Silver And Stainless Rings

mn90403

I had a chance for a beach hunt this afternoon.  Conditions are not ideal but a bit of energy did move the sand a bit.  I didn't see many clues so I just hunted the expected and unexpected spots.  The quantity of targets was low but they turned out to be very interesting.  The first ring (16g) has a hand on it and an opal?/plastic stone.  It has no markings but appears to be stainless.  The second ring sounded like a quarter and a little higher 31-32 and it is 9 grams of silver and stone.  It is uncleaned.  The final good target was barely audible even tho it was more shallow than the rings.  It was a garbled sound that was a chain I thought.  Its a dagger with some rust on it.  The top is broken off but the detail and the feel of the plastic is above average.  It almost looks like carved ivory but it is not.  The good finds had all been in the water at high tide.

IMG_9940.JPG

• Like 4

This was an 800/11 hunt today.  I've had to turn down the sensitivity down a bit to 21 with a bit of black sand on the beach.  There is a slough/sandbar set up and until it goes away the finds will be affected.

That dagger is a crazy find. Nice digging overall.

I regularly think about doing a beach or shoreline hunt since it is not a far drive. 

Nice finds, Mitchell!  The dagger handle might be celluloid, which would mean it's pretty old (likely before WWII).  There are non-destructive tests (see internet).  Don't use a hot needle!  There are better ways.

I'm curious about some of the items in the picture.  It looks like you found a silver dime, but I thought those always got crudded up from steeping in salt water.  What is the horn on the right edge of photo?  Is that scary looking sawtooth plate some kind of fish cleaner?

GB

I think the 'silver' dime is just a fresh dime I found in the dry sand.  It is a 2006.  That little 'tooth' is likely a jewelry piece.  I can't tell.  The plate is a surfboard wax comb.  I don't know its real name but you can roughen the wax surface of a surfboard and cut the wax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happa54 said:

That dagger is a crazy find. Nice digging overall.

I regularly think about doing a beach or shoreline hunt since it is not a far drive. 

I regularly think about doing parks ... haha

We'll have to try both together sometime.

These were my finds with Paul today.  There is a silver earring and two cheap rings.  More diligent gridding is needed for better finds!  This is a really good beach right now with 5 rings found in 2 sessions.

Phrunt's gold observations and mine about digging negative numbers is holding true.  It seems to be the way of the Nox with deep, fringe detecting.

IMG_9941.JPG

It was a part of my beach detecting with the 6 inch coil because the deep coins I was digging were negative when over 6 inches or so and last week I was digging some quarters very deep.  Today with the 11 the quarters were not any deeper but there is a bit more black sand so the coil control of getting it to sound off is more difficult. 

I told Paul of our observations and it assisted him in digging deeper negative numbers and one was a ring!

I commented that we would be like JW and Phrunt (on the same hunt) putting up our finds.  haha