My DIY Picks

Been too busy during the day light hours to swing a detector so I channeled my energy in to making a couple of new picks in the evenings in my and my neighbors garage. My neighbor is a welder by trade and has all the fun stuff...plasma this and MIG that (a good neighbor to have)! He did the welding and I designed them and hand fit the handles. I used 1/4" AR-400 steel and Ash and Hickory for the handles....

photo 1 - Copy.JPGphoto 2 - Copy.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Now I have to get out and see if they can take some abuse. I think the AR-400 should hold up well. They are both 11" long from tip to scraping end and 5" wide at the scraping end. Handles are 26" and 30" long. Both less than 3lbs.

Dean

• Like 4

Those look really nice, just about perfect length and weight. I really like picks with those big shovel ends like that.

I have a little collection of picks going right now, I'm having a hard time finding one that's just right.

The head on my Apex Talon is a good size but it's got too many magnets on it making it a little heavy, and the handle is a little too long at 30".

I bought a Hogan ProPick and the head design is pretty good but it's a little on the light side and the handle is way too short at 22". I wish the shovel end was flat too, that'd make it better for scraping.

I also have a Burro Pick which is one funky design but it was cheap. Handle is a good length at 24" but the head is super lightweight and hardly gives it any swinging power. The digging spike is way too puny also.

I ended up ordering a Walco No. 1 Standard pick from Australia that cost me a pretty penny and has been sitting in Customs for a week and a half now. Got a big super magnet I'm going to stick on it when I get it, hope that one works for me. Seems to be a good combination of length, pick size and weight.

They look good mate.

But they may have an issue with jaring when digging rock because you used flat steel rather than curved steel.

A flat pick head transfers the shock of the impact into the handle alot more than a cuved pick head dose.

That is why nearly all pick heads have a curved profile, its not for looks its a functional necessity to eliminate jaring.

I build all of my own picks too, because none of the commercially available ones can last over 2 months in our crew but we get around 6-8 months out of my home built ones.

And out of the handle materials I found American hickory to be the best for our handles, it is light and very strong and has a straight grain.

I tried various Aussie hardwood's but they are heavier and break alot more often.

So I've now settled on the hickory.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

Gold Hound-

I could not find any curved steel ( like a plow disc). I dont live in an area that has any farming and having a disc shipped is cost prohibitive. What do you use for steel? I am going to ask the guys at the steel yard if they could put a curve in a length of steel. The AR-400 is pretty hard stuff which is why I chose it for this project. I just dont know if it can be curved easily or not. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and cost effective it was to build these . Plus, it was a fun and I learned a few things. So much so, that I will keep doing it until I get it right (if these dont work out for prospecting they can be used in the garden). What you are saying makes sense and I appreciate your experienced input. Thanks again.

Dean

I use 4x4 leaf springs.

I like ones that came off a jap car like toyota as they use very high quality steel.

I get them for free from 4x4 suspension place they have bins of old ones at nearly all of them.

They are spring steel so it flexes rather than breaking or breaking the handle.

I've never broken one made from 4x4 leafs yet!

I make my wife's out of car leafs as its a bit lighter for her to carry. 

Your picks will be fine until you need to break hard rock then you will notice the jarring I'm talking about.

The vibrations up the handle will hurt your hands.

• Like 2

Gldhnd.

I would kindly thank you to refrain from divulging my closely kept secrets. I have been using one for about 10 years and have actually just about worn it too short.

Some pics of my picks made out of 4x4 leafs

I usually make about 10 at a time and the lucky few get to own them.

I use 1m long hickory handles and the head is 450 long.

They are only for real men who need to dig deeeep holes.

post-647-0-19562200-1432045614_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-49256900-1432045636_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-80454900-1432045669_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-25559600-1432045702_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Gotta agree with Klunker, your divulging all our close kept secrets. :)  But now I`m getting lazy and just get a new Walco every now and then.

Gold Hound,

Man, those are some heavy duty picks! Nice work!

I will check out the leaf spring steel. My reality is that I don't get out in the field a fraction of the time you do and at this rate it would take me years to wear out the ones I made. Always looking for a better way for any project. Thanks for the tips and for posting the pics of  your picks.

Dean

P.S.- What is your pipe/ handle diameter?

Gold Hound,

Man, those are some heavy duty picks! Nice work!

I will check out the leaf spring steel. My reality is that I don't get out in the field a fraction of the time you do and at this rate it would take me years to wear out the ones I made. Always looking for a better way for any project. Thanks for the tips and for posting the pics of  your picks.

Dean

P.S.- What is your pipe/ handle diameter?

I use 3mm wall thickness 40mm diameter steel tube then I just squash it in a vice until its oval shaped to take the end of the handle, which is a sledge hammet handle 1m long American hickory.
  • Like 1