Emergency Travel Junk

May sound silly but one of my additions is always at least 3, 2 by 6 or 2 by 12 pieces of hard lumber about 2.5 feet long.  They are useful for jack pads, to lay across a tire for breaking the bead for tube installation, make a great cutting board and lap table for dinner and just about anything else you need a chunk of lumber for.

Working in aviation as an electronics tech I also carry a multimeter, splice kit and safety wire pliers with a roll of .32 safety wire.  Duct tape and baling wire :)  A butane soldering iron and a good torque wrench are also helpful for the tool box.

In 2006 I had to use all those plus some other stuff~ fixed a starter and changed out a transmission bush.  In 2010 helped my mates with the repairs on the front end hubs of his 4wd *bearing went bad, fried the spindle as well*, hubs for another trailer *bad bearings again*, replaced the injector for another diesel.  Biggest bitch was finding a torque wrench in Australia that time around.  Packing my own this time.  A full set of tools goes along way.  Heavy blankets as well for laying on similar to what Swifty pointed out.

• Like 3

I had a recent scare running my truck battery dead while charging stuff. A portable rechargeable jump starter is a good idea. In my case I now have a new deep cycle battery with solar panel that I toss in the truck to use as a charging station and emergency backup.

A portable rechargeable jump starter is a good idea.

I got one of these at wally world.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-Electric-6-in-1-Jump-Starter/25955544

Use it to charge the batteries on the cell phones and detectors. Works great and lasts 3-4 days on one charge.

strick

• Like 1

All of the above and sat phone. We always go with 2 vehicles - both fully setup with all the fruit. 280L of fresh water and food reserves for 3 weeks. First aid kit is packed - just in case of below.....

Cheers

BB

• Like 4

I got one of these at wally world.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-Electric-6-in-1-Jump-Starter/25955544

Use it to charge the batteries on the cell phones and detectors. Works great and lasts 3-4 days on one charge.

strick

I like this one better than the one i bought at costco... hmmm, might need two...