58 minutes ago, foreverteachable said:

It was quite an afternoon.

The understatement of the year! Fantastic way to live an afternoon. Congrats on your finds. BTW, where did you catch that fish? ?

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Wow, is that coin from 1780 something? looks like it from where I sit, what a fantastic find!

Thanks for the story too, sounds like a fun afternoon.

The Connecticut Colonial copper coin was from 1787. I had never found one before and I'm actually from Connecticut originally and I found two in one day I can't believe it. The other coin I believe is a georgius triumpho from 1783 or around that time. It is really hard to detect in my town because the ground is all sand and even modern coins can be found down 8-inches or so so all the old stuff is really deep unless you go to a plowed field. I found six coppers in this cornfield last year and they're going to build up on it in a few days so it's nice that the bulldozers helped me uncover some more before it was gone.

Great finds. 2 Connecticut coppers, a nice Tombac button and I believe your other copper is a British George III copper. Some of those British coppers can be counterfeits too, so a little research on the date should help you. Also, counterfeits ring up much lower on your machine. It's either a half penny or a farthing. Nice digs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great finds. 2 Connecticut coppers, a nice Tombac button and I believe your other copper is a British George III copper. Some of those British coppers can be counterfeits too, so a little research on the date should help you. Also, counterfeits ring up much lower on your machine. It's either a half penny or a farthing. Nice digs.

Thanks a bunch!