So I'm debating trading my v3i towards a Equinox 800, or a Xp ORX, I am torn about it  because the v3i is a good machine just challenging to get setup Everytime I go to a new site, I occasionally hunt beaches so that's why I was considering the equinox to have a machine that could cover all my hunting grounds in one. And a orx because it intrigues me. I would like to hear your argument for and against the trades and tear into it. 

In the end I'll make a decision I just want to hear what you guys think!

The Equinox 800 in my opinion has the edge over the ORX in depth and definitely in ID  readings. I usually start with my 800 and will occasionally switch to the ORX when my arm needs a rest.  Keep in mind that the ORX has a 9" coil.

The ORX has the edge on just about every other machine when it comes to weight and ergonomics.  

The Equinox in one of it's multi-frequency modes is very accurate at ID'ing  at depth.

I found that the Gold 1 mode on the ORX is a good relic mode if there is not much trash.  It hits hard and seems to hit deeper, though you have to ground balance frequently.

I also like the adjustability of the Equinox 800.  Especially the ability of changing the tones, the number of tones, volumes, and tone breaks.

If XP would upgrade the ORX to allow the manipulation of the tones it would help those of us with heading problems.

Hi,

I have several friends who use V3is.  I have been able to mess around with one for awhile. What an incredible detector!!!! I wish Whites could condense it down into a much smaller and lighter detector, a sentiment expressed by many others.

I have used the Equinox and XP Deus extensively. I recently sold my Deus simply because the Nox fits my detecting needs better. The Nox ability to go deep in high mineralization with solid target and tone ID as opposed to the Deus is obvious to anyone that has used both in similar circumstances. I was on a hunt yesterday with two Deus users and my 800 was the go to detector for the deep iffy targets that we compared. Some of the targets were undetectable by the Deus even with the 11" low frequency coil at 8" depth in high mineralization. The Nox nailed all of these wild coin targets. 

I looked at the Orx very carefully and decided that it was just too limited in adjustable audio features and detecting modes for me to seriously consider when compared to the Deus and the Equinox.

If you hunt in mild to moderate dirt the Orx would probably be just fine. So would the Makro Multi Kruzer. I tried one out for a while and I really liked all of its features. It was hard to calm it down in high EMI and high mineralization however.

In a perfect world, I would buy a Nox 800 and keep the V3i.

• Like 1

You may want to look at the Anfibio multi also. The only real advantage the Orx has is weight. Coils are horribly expensive and the stock 9" isn't going go as deep as the larger coils used on the Equinox 800 and Anfibio. 

The AT MAX goes incredibly deep with it's stock coil. It actually hits as deep as my AT Pro with a Nel Big 17x15 coil! The monotone all metal mode is not bad at all and seems to lock down on targets quickly and no real issues with masking for the bit I used it. Couple things I think Garrett could have done better is have more steps for threshold. Seems lowest is none and next click up is a bit loud for my taste. They also moved some of the controls around so notch discrim is a bit of a pain compared to the Pro. Another buddy was about 25 yards away and could hear the MAX on his MX Sport.

If your doing any VLF beach hunting the choice would be the Equinox 800.

• Like 2