Iron Detector

it seems the biggest weakness of the GPZ is the lack of any reliable discrimination other than a best guess as to depth due to the double target response. My Whites SST will power up in seconds and is a great detector with excellent iron discrimination and may even give an accurate iron response in proximity to the GPZ, but its not practical to carry both. my question is there a small lightweight detector that would compliment the GPZ mainly by giving the operator a second look that reads for an iron signal on the target in question, something like a pin pointer with some decent depth made for iron.

Cheap used Tesoro maybe,,,or maybe do what Ron has done....take a ace150, and make it into a pinpointer. Maybe he will chime in and explain how he made his...or kick my butt for spilling his creation,lol.

Thanks deathray, it would cut down on the number of times you had to dig nails and such in trashy areas with something portable enough to be practical. Nice to have something that worked like the sun-ray probe, except that it was a simple small VLF that could use the GPZ coil.

Rick, ahhhh I know so little... I've been digging it all in the desert, except some of the wash areas are so filled with rusted tin and nothing else that I give up and move on. The one time I tried the zed just below downieville on the yuba river I was overwhelmed by square nails, this was my very first outing with the gpz so I moved on to rye patch area for a little easier detecting I thought, but next month I am planning to take on the nails again and I have a much better understanding of the gpz, so I'm planning on finding a much higher grade of hand forged nail... A whole keg of em. I've not yet hunted an area I'd refer to as a patch yet, but that's mostly been a lack of time to go hunt.

Art,

True, you have to know your ground! All you need to find is one nugget in a trashy area...just might be and over looked spot. I love Northern Nevada and it's trash free patches...but I can't find any Sushi in Lovelock...lol

Rick

Rick, ahhhh I know so little... I've been digging it all in the desert, except some of the wash areas are so filled with rusted tin and nothing else that I give up and move on. The one time I tried the zed just below downieville on the yuba river I was overwhelmed by square nails, this was my very first outing with the gpz so I moved on to rye patch area for a little easier detecting I thought, but next month I am planning to take on the nails again and I have a much better understanding of the gpz, so I'm planning on finding a much higher grade of hand forged nail... A whole keg of em. I've not yet hunted an area I'd refer to as a patch yet, but that's mostly been a lack of time to go hunt.

hey, back off. the Yuba is my nail collecting heaven.

let me know when you are up there, I know some nailolicious areas. I could show you.:-)

• Like 1

Gambler, from the little I've seen theres nails a plenty for all up and around that river.

My wonderful sweet understanding kindhearted (are you reading this baby) wife will be out of the country in China for a month beginning around the second week in June and I've pretty much told everyone else if they need anything they are going to have a tough time finding me, I'm going detecting. 

I probably need to head home here and there to do laundry, but I'm going to spend as much time as i can in the Sierra s and n nevada depending on how things go while indulge guilt free. Im not sure exactly what day I'm heading up but it'll be in that ball park.

Clark