Extreme Satisfaction

Good job Mark!

From what I've found so far is the 6" coil will probably pic out some more targets but the 11" coil doesn't miss much.. lol. But for certain the 6" is one to have. It's super easy to find targets with it. My son and I were hunting a really trashy yard. He found a target that he really had to work for with his Etrac (8"sun ray coil) and had me come over and see if I could hit it. The Equinox saw it right off. First time over the target and bam there it was. We both removed or head phones and he showed me how he had to really work the target to find it. I swung over it several times with the Equinox and when he saw how easy it was to find he said I'm getting one of those. Lol.

When you wiggle do you wiggle off the target? I call it hunting off the front of the coil. I rarely use pin point unless it's deep... no need to using that method. Sounds like the Equinox is treating you right. HH! Tom

• Like 2

The wiggle is defined by:

I find the target and kind of hover the coil over the center of where I think it is.  You don't have to move the coil much, maybe 3-4" left and right, not real slow but fairly quick.  I use the front of the coil many times on targets that are not super deep.  Real neat how that works.  I had never really given the wiggle technic much a chance until yesterday.

• Like 1

Good post Mark

I find Park 1 to be the best mode for me too. Learned the FBS waggle from A Sabich Safari handbook and use it on all targets. I use to use a 6" coil on my FBS and it is excellent in the trash. But, the 11" stock coil is awesome too and I stay with it on all my hunts. The one thing I like about the waggle is that those initial faint squeaks become magnified after a couple of seconds of waggling through the target. I've pulled many deep faint squeakers from the dirt this way. 

• Like 3

Mark --

Very good post.  I agree with you and Happa -- I like Park 1, and YES -- the Minelab wiggle WORKS with the Equinox.  It's so ingrained in me from all those years using FBS machines, that I just naturally did the same, with the Equinox.  Absolutely a HUGE tool, with this machine, as it is with FBS...

Steve

• Like 4

Nice finds, maybe the new machine and new sounds got you looking a little closer than before. Bigger coil does increase your chase as your more likely to overlap your swings.

I constantly find stuff in the local park, some too deep to dig without getting kicked out. I noticed when using larger coils, just like you mentioned the shorter swipes over help the machine to focus on the smaller area. 

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nice finds.

There is a good chance some of those nickels were heard when the CTX and Etrac were in there.  One problem.  The ID given in error.  Nox ID on nickel -  Takes more iron to make  it hiccup and give bogus ID.

That is a valid point and yes it is very likely most of the machines detected the same targets.  The ground in this area is littered with burnt coal waste and tends to skews the received signal.  But one thing I can say about the Equinox, it has the most accurate ID of any machine I've ever had.  It is amazing how good this machine actually is. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, Happa54 said:

Good post Mark

I find Park 1 to be the best mode for me too. Learned the FBS waggle from A Sabich Safari handbook and use it on all targets. I use to use a 6" coil on my FBS and it is excellent in the trash. But, the 11" stock coil is awesome too and I stay with it on all my hunts. The one thing I like about the waggle is that those initial faint squeaks become magnified after a couple of seconds of waggling through the target. I've pulled many deep faint squeakers from the dirt this way. 

This.  The nox just seems to home in with the wiggle if you catch that good tone on your regular swing.  I don't how many times I hear just a bit of a high tone and then go back to investigate while wiggling the coil and after a few seconds that signal gets clearer and clearer and I just know to dig.

• Like 3