Gold Hunting 4WD

Hahaha, i went out  to NorNev last week... by the time i got there it was very windy and dusty-----and i was very tired... so i just dropped the drivers seat back in my Yukon and went off to sleep...

Woke up to the splat, splat, splat, of raindrops!!! ------and you know what that means out there----same thing----- i fired her up and headed back home----

A quick turnaround for sure... I laughed out loud when you described the sounds of splat, splat, splat,---because i could relate to it...

Yeah, I also got my first lesson recently in northern Nevada desert and rain. Just as I turned in for the evening the rain started. I should have left right then, but I figured no problem, just head out in the morning. Now I know that rock hard desert dirt turns to pure snot with only a few hours of rain. Very nasty white knuckle trip out and $20 at the car wash getting the snot off my truck afterwards. Chris is disappointed I just wimped out on a trip back out but I just in am in no hurry to go back out there until stuff gets well and dry. Even if the rain quits then salt ground effect stays for a long time after as it may be dry on the surface but the ground stays wet a few inches down for some time.

Was told the same thing in Australia - either get out fast or be prepared to wait a long time for stuff to get dry enough to get out.

That's a fact--and it is not fun for me to listen to that salt either,,,,,, wimp or no wimp---i am gonna research stuff today----been raining here in truckee for days!!!

Those roads get super greasy.......and you got off cheap at the car wash!!!!   lolol

This OZ would love to hear some gold with snow stories, you guys must have some experiences there, snow is very foreign matter especially to us up here in NQ OZ. Just the splat, splat on windscreen and seeing snow is not something we experience. Mainly all floods, cyclones and fire with our gold over here but no snow experiences.

Paul send some of that rain over pleeeeeeese. Have finally got together a few OZ things they should be flying over tomorrow.

• Like 1

This OZ would love to hear some gold with snow stories, you guys must have some experiences there, snow is very foreign matter especially to us up here in NQ OZ. Just the splat, splat on windscreen and seeing snow is not something we experience. Mainly all floods, cyclones and fire with our gold over here but no snow experiences.

Paul send some of that rain over pleeeeeeese. Have finally got together a few OZ things they should be flying over tomorrow.

Well i am not complaining about the rain---we need it here in droughted CA NV----- but I didnt get to do much prospecting on my week off----

Hope you get some because i know you have a farmy thing going over there with ponds that need filled and such---- THX in advance for the OZ things....lol

Hey Norvic

Where about's are you in NQ I am in Townsville.

cheers

Lee

Regarding Northern Nevada...

Deja-vu to that. Last year I was sleeping in the back of my 4x4 truck/camper shell out at Sawtooth. Late at night it started raining. I knew from others' stories that you don't want to get caught there in the rain. But I was so sleepy and it was so late, I said screw it. At 6 am it was still raining and now I was getting very nervous. It was white knuckle driving and sliding with large trucks passing opposite direction splatterING my windshield and truck with that white slimy crap, then headed toward and past Rye patch. OMG, I was so relieved when I finally made it to pavement! I still have that hardened white matter in the crevasses of my undercarriage.

• Like 2

Bit further North and inland on the western edge of the Atherton Tblds.  Just a local call to JC from here.

Update on Hilux breakdown, you will note in the photo at top of spring is a lifting block, about 11/2 inches high. It is a aftermarket lifting block, I purchased and fitted. Purpose is to offset the weight of steel bulbar and winch, apparently 1000`s have them fitted. It did that job well but instead of upward movement being soaked by the rubber stop, the shockie shaft took the hit.

I am eating crow for supper tonight and take back all my cussing of Toyota and am updating with purpose built spring and shockie assemblies, what I should have done in the beginning.

In my former short FJ73 Bundera I removed the passenger seat and installed a bed.

Tents are very nice, but they give you a false sense of security. Dogs stick their nose in, wild bore go rooting around you at night, squirels freak you out after crawling in through the top. And they are a real pain to keep dry in a wet climate.

Sleep in the car and cook breakfast under an awning. Life is great. And instant mobility.

Compared to that vehicle my current 94 HDJ80 landcruiser is just bliss. Aircon keeps you dry and warm, it needs at least 600 lbs in the back to drive decent, which isn't a problem. Lockers get you through without any hassle. It just loves hauling and going the distance.

I spent a good portion of my life flying around Alaska as a passenger in small planes - very small planes. Many many hours propped up in the back seat asleep. I have logged lots of hours sleeping on jets, which tends to be poor as the seats really do not recline and too many people waking me up when I would obviously rather be sleeping.

My Toyota I can put that seat all the way back, and I have a long pad for the seat, whatever blankets suits the weather, and a good pillow. I sleep better in my truck sometimes than at home, where four dogs always seem to have me up for one reason or another.

For more extended in truck camping I pull the headrest off the passenger seat, run it forward a bit, and lay it all the way back until it is flush with the rear seat. Toss a 6 foot long 4" thick foam pad on that with low spots bolstered underneath with blankets and I have a nice soft bed ready to use.

But the front seat does me well enough for a night or two. Recently I was out in northern Nevada. I intended to use my tent, but the wind was really blowing, so I just crawled in the front seat. Woke up at 4AM to the truck shaking and little "splat. splat, splat" noises. I turned on the headlights and saw fat flakes of snow going sideways at 40 mph! Seat went forward, truck turned on, and I was on my way home in minutes. I like being mobile at the drop of a hat.