I find nails too.😐

Awesome read, now I guess I have to search some old areas all over again and get an idea of what might had been there!

Guess ill scout by looking for small iron first than get an idea of the area to pick through. Some old foundations near me that have been picked through but there were older buildings that were taken down way before the better documented structures.

• Like 1

If you Google hand made nails there is a old video showing how the nails were made.

Stick.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post- I enjoyed reading that.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:51 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Cutting the nails leaves a small burr along the edge as the metal is sheared. By carefully examining the edges for evidence of these burrs, it is possible to distinguish between the earlier type A nails and the later type B nails. Type A nails have burrs on the diagonally opposite edges, while the type B nails have both burrs on the same side because the metal was flipped for each stroke. nail.jpg

If I'm understanding correctly wouldn't it be the other way around? Both burrs on the same side on type a since it wasn't flipped?

Interesting read.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By geof_junk
      https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/Mutiny-and-Rebellion-The-Eureka-Stockade/10188.aspx
      This is a must for Vic gold prospectors and may other prospector.
    • By Norvic
      This month in 1979 I bought my first metal detector a Bounty Hunter RB7, took me almost 3 years of pure frustration to get my first nugget,(pic below) after many 100s of hours, I know now I sure went over heaps of detectable gold, and still do, but not the heaps I went over then,...…...I hope...……... Below is some photos, I wish to share with DP members to celebrate, unfortunately I did not take many photos, straight into the crusher smelted down and off to the mint, have scanned what I could find from the old "shoe boxes". Plus a couple of recent ones, the specimen last is highly magnified, gold in limestone, and although no weight is probably the most valued by me, not just because it was my first piece (found with that RB7), but because of its uniqueness.
      Consider myself very privileged to live in this era, it has enriched my life not just in its monetary value, but given a challenge and still does that I suspect has no equal.  
      MN I`ve gone and done it and not even close to the 30th of February.
    • By Jim McCulloch
      ... the first of the 49'ers from the eastern US states,  Australia, England, and Mexico were now beginning to arrive in the California gold fields. Hopes were high that they would "see the elephant," an allusion to participating in a truly spectacular, life-changing event. The California Gold Rush, from 1849 to 1857, was one of the most significant world-altering events in modern history. While metal detectors have replaced gold pans and rocker boxes, those of us who pursue "the elusive yellow metal" are the brethren of those intrepid 49ers. A post-gold rush ballad states "... and I often grieve and pine... for the days of old... the days of gold... the Days of 49..." I hope you all "see the elephant." HH Jim
    • By Goldseeker5000
      Hey everyone the website for "The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide" and
      goldseekerbooks.com is live online. Thank you everyone for your patience.
    • By GB_Amateur
      Inspired by the recent thread:
      I've thought up the following question.  This is (obviously) a hypothetical/ficticious situation but I think the replies might answer the question in this topic title.  Suppose a Genie shows up providing you with the following opportunity.  You will be transported back in time for a 10 year period, starting time is your choice.  Once the 10 years are over you return to June, 2019 as if you never left.  Once transported you will not have any knowledge/memory of the future ('future' defined as anything after the date of your arrival) but will have a passion for treasure hunting.  You will be 30 years old, single, with a college degree in science education and a high school teaching job (and salary) consistent with that degree.  You get three months per year off (you get to choose the months).  You will be provided with a 4WD camper, an initial $3000 (important, January 2019 dollars!, to account for inflation) or the equivalent in the country of your chosen location.  The purpose of this money is to buy a metal detector (that existed at that time -- no taking a modern detector back with you!) and other appropriate recovery equipment and materials.  In addition, each succeeding year for 9 years you will get an addition $1000 (2019 equivalent).  To drive home this $3000, 2019 equivalent, here are some actual year amounts for the initial stipend:  1951--$300.  1956--$317.  1961--$352.  1966--$376.  1971--$470.  1976--$657.  1981--$1028.  1986--$1294.  1991--$1590.  1996--$1824.  2001--$2086.  2006--$2342.  2011--$2601.  2016--$2798.
      You can answer for either coin/jewelry/relic/beach/cache detecting or electronic prospecting.  That is, your 'passion' can be in one or the other.
      When, Where, Why?

• By Flowdog
      I wanted to get this posted on the anniversary of D-Day. I'll let the picture of this copper plaque speak for itself. 
      The back story is personally significant, but is inconsequential to the recovery itself. I am honored to present it to this forum on this date.