Ordinary Rock Collections

Do any of you collect rocks with unique shapes or markings, colors, compositions ? I have been collecting heart shaped for years. But my wife found this heart imprinted rock last weekend while we were prospecting. She gave it to me. Her favorite prospector.

post-400-0-75969700-1432409227_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-36986300-1432426261_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

We call an interesting rock an F.L.R. (funny looking rock) my wife and I have collected FLR's for years last time when we moved house they were a real headache to pack and move I reckon there is 3 tonne of them.

My favorite's are rocks that are close to a perfect sphere they are very rare.

But we will collect any that look like somthing too or mineral specimens.

• Like 1

Its hard for me not to come home or back to camp without a rock or two.  I'm always keeping an eye out for the unusual or nice specimens of an area.  I've never tried the sexstone line of thought ;) but I get funny enough looks when people ask me about leaverite.

My office is full of weird detector finds and odd rocks. Makes it hard to concentrate on the right things. The book keeper thinks I'm insane.

She is rarely wrong.

• Like 1

I started out as a kid collecting rocks. First thing that happens if everyone wants to give you rocks and they pile up fast. I drew the line early on at only rocks I found myself, as it is the finding I enjoy most. Even then they piled up. When I left Alaska I had a lot to either dispose of or ship.

I went to a rock show and sold 3/4 of the stuff I had and the 1/4 that was left I donated to the rock club. I only shipped maybe 20 lbs south, pretty much all gold ore. With a clean start I am being choosy these days, but did bring home a nice piece of agatized petrified wood the size of a loaf of bread last summer and put it in my garden near the front door. No doubt more will be added with time.

• Like 2

My wife and I have made it to all 50 states and 7 Canadian Provinces. I think we managed to come home with a rock from every one. The biggest problem was, we should have marked each one with the location of it's origin.  We sold our home a couple of years ago to my youngest daughter and now my wife usually brings a souvenir rock home from there 

• Like 2