Variety Of Treasure Recoveries On 1 Trip

On 4/12/2019 at 12:33 PM, Ms.Molewacker said:

Very nice group of finds! Was the Buckle silver?

Silver gilt. 

• Like 1

Dang Gerry I've been away a couple days... Awesome hunt you had to pull so many relics. I'd have to say the two most eye catching for me were the Irish setter suspender clip and the silver key fob. I'm wondering if you have a favorite program you like to use on the Nox 800 if you would not mind sharing ? 

strick

• Like 2

Great hunt! Love seeing the variety of finds. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.  Strick, my settings are nothing special and I normally do not recommend what I use to many of my customers.  My reasoning is 40 years of detector experience with 20+ yrs using BBS & FBS Multi Tone machines.  My ears are tuned to catch certain breaks in detector Threshold.  But you ask, so as a friend and customer...you shall get.

Mode Select - Park #1,

Noise Cancel - I do it at each site and sometimes more often if EMI changes.

Ground Balance - Auto Tracking ON.

Volume - 25

Threshold -  Always want to hear the hum (9 - 11 for my ears).

Tones - 50, Only because I think I know what I am doing?  But always ears when around other good hunters.

Iron Rejection - OPEN so I can hear everything.  The more iron, the slower I go and will even drop my SENS or lift the coil off the ground a few inches.  I want to give the detector the chance to pick targets from the iron.

Recovery Speed - 5 or 6 most of the time.

Iron Masking - O, but I do dig more trash than many people, but it is old trash.

In no way do I use these same settings at every site, but this is what I like as a starter.  The good thing is with the EQ, many of the people will grow with it (just like I am still doing) and find settings you enjoy.  Bottom line,  if you are finding things and having fun, then continue enjoying the hunt.

Hope these helps someone, but realize time on a detector is most valuable settings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gerry I was just curious as to how you liked to run your detector. I do realize that environmental effects will determine how we all run our machines in the "moment"

I was using Park 1 mostly in the beginning but have strayed to Park 2 and Field 2 more recently. I cant say that  I have found more and better stuff. I do know that I will be hunting in park 2 if I'm targeting gold chains in parks but I have not hunted a park in the past 2-3 months as I have been in a sort of relic mood. It looks that I have been running very similar to the way you have set yours up...the main difference being that I have not given 50 tones a fair shake yet. Thanks for taking the time for the feed back.

strick

• Like 2

Strick,  Yes Park 2 is certainly a chain and earring getter as the extra sensitivity is pretty amazing.  Glad to see you changing your detecting style and hunting old coins/relics as it allows you a broader experience and will make you an overall better detectorist.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gerry... congratulations on quite a diversity of interesting treasure recoveries. If I had to choose just one favorite item, it would have to be the silver key fob!!!  That looks to be a real keeper!!!

WTG and thankyou for sharing your adventure with us!!! ☺️

Jim. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You have better sites to detect in Nevada then I do! Excellent hunt ?

i had to bow out of the annual Tonopah Memorial Day weekend trip, but heard there was snow, rain, and howling wind.  Someone did find a $5 gold coin at the Tonopah dumps though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

You have better sites to detect in Nevada then I do! Excellent hunt ?

i had to bow out of the annual Tonopah Memorial Day weekend trip, but heard there was snow, rain, and howling wind.  Someone did find a $5 gold coin at the Tonopah dumps though.

Sorry you didn't get to join them in the windy wet and wild cold desert.  I've heard of the Memorial Weekend Sift out there at Tonopah and always wanted to do it.   I think it would be neat if we could get a small group of us DP followers on here and do a weekend gathering.  I would enjoy learning the tips and techniques of proper sifting and shaking.  It would also be a good time to put the MAX Recovery Speed of the Nox and a small coil to use.  I heard there is quite a bit of iron nails and bits in the dumps.