kiwijw

My Take On Aftermarket Zed Coils

It is also Remarkable that there is no gold in/on that face of the Remarkable's or on the other side of the lake for that matter. Geology & glaciation weaves & waves its magic wand.:rolleyes:

JW 🤠 

Well John, you may very well have crossed yourself of the Minelab Christmas card list, as it appears they are less than happy about the Russian coil development.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Well John, you may very well have crossed yourself of the Minelab Christmas card list

I reckon JW has done more for Minelab sales in NZ than any marketing campaign Minelab could have hoped for.  A Christmas card is a sure bet and deservedly so...it  just might not have the $100 inside it this year  😉

No longer having a GPZ I have watched with interest the X coil developments but haven't found the need to comment.  A few things that stand out to me. 

Having extra availability of coils is great for end users.  I was always just happy to plod with the 14" and was amazed at the size and depth it achieved.  But smaller coils for some will be a real bonus. 

There may have been a small coil promised by Minelab at the start but one can only assume there are good reasons they haven't come through on that.  Minelab, a statement re: why would be nice for customers (just if you are listening 😊).  

JP's comment in another thread here tells me that something was probably being tested...maybe I'm wrong?   Maybe there was no truth because nothing was ever tested?  But there is no point releasing something if it can't be made to work.  

On 4/23/2019 at 4:46 PM,  phoenix said: 

...........I was told about  3 years ago and I really have no idea if there is any truth to it, that Minelab gave up on the 11" because it kept overloading the detector. Dave

There is no truth to that rumour whatsoever.

JP

JW's recent success on flogged patches has been enlightening.  As has Norvics'.  I wish you the best with them.  The early adopter catches the gold 🙃

However, cutting the end off a coil and making a patch thingy and re-connecting, etc - there isn't a chance in the pit of Haddes I'd be doing that!  If the X coils are to become as commonplace as NF and Coiltech, etc, then it would be great if users could get a Minelab manufactured or sanctioned patch lead.  Might be another sideline for SteelPhase.   

In a perfect world Minelab would produce a range of their own coils or at least sanction and assist (with some monetary gain) another company to create a range of coils as the X coil company has done.  Easier for the coil company, would surely see more GPZ's sold due to greater usability and the obvious benefits for all the end users.   

Maybe that would 'Vanguish' the opposition...........................😜

• Like 3

IMG_20190425_132200.thumb.jpg.77d87d1e53d83c54420a1b083f9f0806.jpgJW, I am wondering if in fairness to the 19" ML coil ability, it may get that gold you are getting with the Xcoil and more even deeper. I say this because whilst due to grass height I am no where near 100% sure on this in fact as we know you never get it all, thus can never be 100%, but I have a deep patch (close to home) that I have over the years run big coils over and new machines, the ML Z14" got many pieces off it, mainly sub-grammers as did the ML 19" mainly multiple-grammers, it was the patch that first proved up the ML 19" to me. So far the X15" coil has not found any on this patch, that grass height could be the reason.

I`ll know later in the year, plus because of the 15" X coils larger size over the ML14" as illustrated in the below photo it should be doing what it is ie. getting gold in ground where the 14" has flogged as the 19" has shown (providing of course there is gold deeper)

Definitely  not knocking the X coil it is magic as both the ML coils have proven to be, probably in time this will be true of all coils on the Z.

• Like 2

JW,  it would be awesome if you could  sometime compare signals between your X coil and the Minelab 15 and 19. I know its no fun to swap coils out in the field, but in the name of science, I'm sure all the boys here would be most appreciative. Otherwise, it's still speculation if those are actually missed targets that the Minelab coils could have sniffed out.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WesD said:

JW,  it would be awesome if you could  sometime compare signals between your X coil and the Minelab 15 and 19. I know its no fun to swap coils out in the field, but in the name of science, I'm sure all the boys here would be most appreciative. Otherwise, it's still speculation if those are actually missed targets that the Minelab coils could have sniffed out.

Hi WesD, I don't need to compare signals because I know for certain that there would have been no signal at all from the ML 14" coil, not 15" by the way, because if you read my post again you will see that I have mentioned that I have been over that ground so many times with the ML 14" & it has in the last 4-5 times come up with finding nothing more. No speculation on my part. I don't have to satisfy myself of that fact any more. Like I said, if I had of found just one, maybe two pieces with the 15 x 14 X coil  then maybe but I still don't believe the ML 14 would have got them based on my last 4-5 times coming up empty. But to find 12 pieces with the 15 x 14 X coil on the very first sweep across that relatively small area that had been barren to the ML 14" the last 4-5 times, why should that suddenly change with the threat of the 15 x 14 X coil being present. It just doesn't. What I can do is go back with the ML 19 & see if it can find something the X coil 15 x 14 missed at greater depth. I have since been over that ground a 2nd time with the 15 x 14 X coil & got nothing more. I am VERY thorough when it comes to covering ground with a coil. Especially in a small & what was a hot patch area. 

21 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Well John, you may very well have crossed yourself of the Minelab Christmas card list, as it appears they are less than happy about the Russian coil development.

Hi Reg, I hope minelab don't have ill feelings toward me in using these Russian coils & the results I am getting & sharing from old flogged ground. Like Northeast said, & thank you for that Northeast, I have always had nothing but praise & good things to say about all my minelab equipment over the years, outside of the SDC 2300 & I believe that was just due to our insanely mild ground & that I was able to run my 4500/sadie flat out.  I am sure they acknowledge that. I think the proof of that was in them giving me a GM 1000 to trial & report on here in NZ. Thank you minelab for that opportunity.

I have always been a huge fan of having many coil options as I learnt that each one IS a game changer. As I keep banging on about. But with the Zed it was just the two coil options that Minelab gave us, even 4 years on. I haven't even used the 19 & that is based on our very small gold but was very happy with the 14 & still gobsmacked me after 2.5 years of swinging it & the depth it was still getting small gold. As I also kept banging on about in my posts. But eventually patches dried up. These Russian coils came to me at just the right time. Could have been coiltek or nugget finder or even minelab. But it wasn't. So I jumped at the chance of trying these coils knowing from my past experience that coil options can change the game & in this case with the Zed, it is all over again. I am not really surprised. I wasn't deterred by chopping & making the patch lead adaptor as the 19 can still be used. I don't know why people are so aghast at doing this, or having it done.

@ JP. I am not sure what your laughing face is all about. I didn't see anything funny. Maybe you had a hot day.

Cheers 

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 3

Maybe a comparison with the 10” xcoil and the ML 14” to see if you can get the same or different results? For sensitivity sake.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, kiwijw said:

It is also Remarkable that there is no gold in/on that face of the Remarkable's or on the other side of the lake for that matter. Geology & glaciation weaves & waves its magic wand.:rolleyes:

JW 🤠 

That is remarkable :laugh:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Maybe a comparison with the 10” xcoil and the ML 14” to see if you can get the same or different results? For sensitivity sake.

Post to come on a good day had with Simon on Saturday just gone & my results with the 10 x 9 X coil on previous thrashed ground, yes ML 14 included. Third time lucky with the 10 x 9 X coil. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 2