What Do You Think It Rang Up At?

Skate

18 hours ago, kac said:

Ring doesn't look that beefy so it could read lower. Old silver cross I found is higher than 925 and rings lower than a quarter for some reason.

I go more by sound than what any vdi will say. Clean consistent sound is always worth digging. VDI is handy to tell you the ball park of something but the way square tabs and junk can cross over I would rather have a handful of tabs and a ring than nothing at all.

what do you mean when you say clean sound? What is the pitch, high, low, mid level?

2 hours ago, Grizz12 said:

what do you mean when you say clean sound? What is the pitch, high, low, mid level?

He means a clean solid sounding target.  Tone pitch is irrelevant being that gold will usually be a mid to lower tone.  Same range as foil and tabs. 

Although you have to be mindful that a broken ring or a chain is likely going to give an iffy more broken sounding signal. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kac said:

Old silver cross I found is higher than 925 and rings lower than a quarter for some reason.

Crosses and odd shaped rings and charms will often give a more broken signal and ID lower than the alloy/base metal normally would ID. 

Most ID systems are based on “round” items since they best project the eddy currents that a vlf detector reads to detect the item. 

• Like 1

Trash usually gives erratic signals maybe from the odd shapes or the alloys used or combination of the both or in many cases there are other objects around that can mask the target such as iron rust, nails, can slag and even halos from zinc pennies.

I don't dig everything but rather take my time to try to isolate the target by slowing and shortening your swing so just the overlap of the DD or in case of a concentric just the inner coil passes over on either side of the target. The machine should settle down on the target and start to give a more stable number. You can also get an idea how big the target might be by the distance it takes for the signal to start and end.

• Like 1

Very nice ring return Skate.  The only time I get sterling to read that low, at least on the ones I have found, is if the band has a crack.  Same will happen on gold rings.  Many gold rings have a solder joint and when they get in salt water for very long, that weak spot will crack.  I found one once and was showing my buddy when he dropped it.  When it hit a rock, it bounced a couple feet away.  I swung back over it and the detector would not hear it.  We both looked at each other quite shocked and could not believe the CTX 3030 would not hear the ring.  I went to all metal and bang, it was there, but not the original tone or numbers it had read before.  when I got back to Boise and to the club meeting I took the ring into the meeting and shared the story and showed everyone.  If I gently squeezed the ring together, it beeped as expected, but ones I let off the pressure and the crack opened up, the ring would not respond in the regular Beach mode I used. 

My wife also has a 1930's platinum with antique diamond ring that was passed down to her mother.  When she passed, it went to my wife.  The ring reads 12-03 to 12-07 (CTX 3030) depending on the way the ring is laying on the ground.

When it comes to jewelry, it can literally read anywhere and I do not get surprised much anymore.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

Its a good possibility it PARACHUTED..... meaning the heavy part was on the bottom.....  depending on which direction you swung may have given different results based on the amount of band it was seeing first.   One direction would have more surface than the other.

Wonder if it's not really platinum, as others have suggested....I've found some tiny pieces of silver (tiny charms or silver beads for example) and while they didn't ring up as a dime or higher, they def rang up higher then 2-3...odd.  

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, steveg said:

THANKS, Skate!  Appreciate the info.

And a 2/3 on that ring?  That makes NO sense to me!  A pull tab of similar shape/size would ring up much higher than that!

Steve

I've found gold rings that read very low and in every case there was a slight break the ring.  Applying pressure to the ring while sweeping in front of the coil brought the numbers back to where they should be.

Some obvious and not so obvious.  Take a little time and pull slightly on the ring to see if it has an unseen break.

22 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I've found gold rings that read very low and in every case there was a slight break the ring.  Applying pressure to the ring while sweeping in front of the coil brought the numbers back to where they should be.

Some obvious and not so obvious.  Take a little time and pull slightly on the ring to see if it has an unseen break.

Like he said, he didn't even have time to check it's TID out of the sand.  The lady took it right out of his scoop so we will never know the real story.