• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By snakejim
      Is there anyone still hunting for meteorites in this area? I'm in Roswell and spoke to Skip Wilson (famous meteorite hunter in Portales, NM), years ago. I just never found time to go look myself.
    • By LE.JAG
      Hi,
      you may already be talking about it, but I still put some photos
      two large meteorites discovered in France

the first goes back to 2010  (Mont-Dieu)
      on an old impact site, in the forest
      who gave a few years ago a 435 kilos (1994)
      it is 364 kg / discovered by a prospector with a PI (siderite)

and another discovery late 2018
      again, on a known impact site (since 1968)
      it is the biggest piece discovered to date and the reccord of France
      477 kg / contains 11% nickel
      discovery also with a PI

with this piece of 477 kilos and all the others discovered since 1968
      the impact site to deliver nearly 6 tons ...

• By DolanDave
      Last weekend a couple of friends and I got out for a meteorite hunt to Franconia Arizona. I found 2 Chondrites weighing 29 and 98 grams. A few small H metal irons, a nice piece of rose colored Chalcedony, and a .50 casing with 43 date stamped. It got past 100, heat is already coming....
      Dave

• By mn90403
      I targeted gold but didn't come back with any.  When in Gold Basin you can also target other things.  I went back to an area (actually several) where I had found meteorites and I got a couple.  One is flattish and only weighs a half an ounce and the other one on the right is 1.5 ounces.  These were found with the 7000.  After I found them I experimented with settings for the Equinox on finding meteorites.
      Meteorites are like hot rocks and can resemble the ground.  It was really not possible to hear them unless I was in gold mode.  I went from slow to very fast.  I went from all metal to reject 9 only in gold mode.  Hot rocks are the problem for a VLF.  I think the setting that needs more experimenting is speed at maximum, iron reject can vary but reject just 9.  This gives an audio response for objects above ground noise and lets me hear a meteorite.
      Does anyone have a suggested 800 setting for meteorites?
      Mitchel
      I've added a few pictures of Gold Basin for those of you who don't see it often.

• By groundscanner
      I found an unusual item yesterday while metal detecting at the farm.  It is egg shape and has the feel and appearance of metal, but doesn't sound off on the detector.  It is a little over 2 inches long by about 1 inch across.  It is heavily pitted with some crusting in some of the pits.  Also there are small inclusions (visible with a loupe).  Some of these inclusions are stony in appearance and a couple look similar to crystal quartz (extremely small).  It seems very dense and heavy for its size and weighs 80 grams (2 3/4 oz.).
      The soil in the area has no natural stone or metals in the matrix. There was an old house site in this area.  
      Any help with possible ID will be appreciated.
      MT

• By DolanDave
      Got out to Franconia on the north side yesterday with some friends. The 2 center meteorites are OC's, and the small outlying pieces around them are irons. 
      Until next time,
      Dave