Also called RF detectors and depth multipliers.  Invented in the 1930's by Gerhard Fisher (founder of Fisher Research Labs, now part of the First Texas conglomerate), this type of detector seems to not have changed much in operating characteristics in 80+ years.  From what I've found there are still three competing models in production:  Fisher's current Gemini-3 model (now 30 years old) https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/fisher-gemini-3-r27/, Garrett's Treasure Hound Eagle Eye Depth Multiplier (quite a mouthful) which is an add-on to their aging GTI 2500 standard style metal detector https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/garrett-gti-2500-r44/ and White's TM808 https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/whites-tm-808-r38/ , a spinoff of a collaboration between White's and Discovery, another Sweet Home, OR company that appears to now be defunct. 

The Fisher unit, operating at 82 kHz, seems to be the most closely aligned survivor of the early design.  Garrett's 'latest' depth multiplier (easily the most expensive at $1300 retail when combined with the GTI 2500) with its 7.2 kHz operating frequency advertises its advantage of being in the VLF range, ignoring ground minerals. White's unit (operating frequency = ?) has ground cancelling controls.  Unlike today's deep PI's and ZVT which can also go deep, these 2 box transmit/receive (T/R) detectors ignore small objects -- an advantage when the sought after target is large and in a trashy area. 

That's a brief overview of the current commercial climate, but what I'd like to know is how much different these three units are when it comes to operating characteristics.  Specifically do the differences in operating frequency and/or ground adjustments translate into better performance under certain conditions?

• Like 1

I can’t claim to be an expert on two box detectors though I sold quite a few. The only one I ever used was the Gemini 3 since I was a surveyor for a few years and they were pretty standard fare in a lot of survey rigs due to the ability to separate the transmitter from the receiver and the line tracing option. They also seemed to be the model of choice for the “treasure hunters”. Seems like most of the Gemini units I sold were headed to Mexico to look for lost treasure.

Important note: The chart and depths quoted below are based on optimistic low mineral conditions. Real life results will probably be less impressive.

whites-tm-808.jpg

fisher-gemini-3-two-box-detector.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      When I got this detector in 92 from Kellyco it was the top line of White’s . My cost was 725.00 and for the time that was a lot to pay for a detector.
       Well this morning I got it out and put batteries in it and it came alive just like it did back in 92 . I ran soon test to see if everything is still working and at the same time I’m thinking why I put this aside.
       I’ve said this in the past those who had the Eagle and wanted to up grade to the Eagle ll White’s would. I’m not sure of the cost but it was around a 125.00 . I believe this was the only time White’s offered doing that.
       I have the stock coil that came with it but right away ordered the small coil that has great depth for the size.
       I don’t know if kellyco person that’s on here remember that Kellyco came out with a coil for the Eagle ll . I got the coil and I didn’t find it was any better that the stock 9 inch coil.
       Here’s some pictures that will take you back in time to another great day in detectors.
      Chuck

• By nickeldNdimed
      I have an F22 with the stock 9” elliptical concentric coil that I like taking out every now and then. Mainly playgrounds and parks. I probably get most things within 6”. I’ve dug some good deeper signals occasionally but most good signals are within that 6” range which is adequate. I do use the iron audio occasionally, tot lots with mulch I did everything above the weed barrier. 
      I’ve been wondering about the Fisher alternative coils like the 4”  concentric for some really trashy areas around shelter.  I’ve also seen come across some posts where folks refer to a 5” DD coil but unclear which one. The F5 and F75 have that option but it is not on the charts as compatible with the F22. I’ve also seen aftermarket 5” DDs and other options.  I figure depth loss should be minimal with better separation.  
      Looking for insight from others that have used alternative coils on these detectors. 
    • By Old Penny
      New to the forum.
      5900 Di SL Pro black:
      What I know:   Operates at roughly 6.5 kHz; Has reliable/powerful "manual" Ground Balancing;  Is easy to adjust and trust (If you take the time to learn the ins and outs); Likes to swing and loves to send its signal deep;  Can discriminate and eliminate with the best of detectors.
      What I do not know: Date of manufacture and how many years they made the 5900 Di SL Pro (Black), What the Di means, What the SL means.
      So, my questions are for those that know are, 1) what is the date of manufacture and how many years they made the 5900 Di SL Pro (Black)?;  2) What does the Di in the name mean?  3) What is the SL technology that set it apart from the original 6000 DB Coin master from the 70's?
      Thank you in advance, 
      Old Penny"
      PS. After some research, I believe the "D" deals with the ability to discriminate.  That opens the question about DB and still leaves the Di question somewhat unanswered. I've ventured thoughts and opinions on what the "SL" might signify, but would love to hear from the more knowledgeable members.
      Again, thank you in advance, 
      Old Penny
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The Fisher CZ-21 is one of the best VLF underwater detectors on the market and can double as a good dry land detector. Waterproof to 250 feet, it is the real deal when it comes to diving and built like a tank. It is the only serious competition to the Minelab Excalibur with the main difference between the two the basic physical design and control layout. Performance is too close to call. I personally prefer the CZ-21 due to the easy hip mount capability, more distinct tone scheme, and true all metal mode. You can get it in 8" or 10.5" coil sizes but the coil is hardwired so be sure and get what you want. Big coils are better on the beach but if you are also thinking parks and such on dry land the 8" is the better option.
      There is a huge price increase coming that will put what you see it currently for sale at as not too far over the new dealer cost! I literally almost just bought one myself just now but veered away before hitting the buy button because - well, you know it - I have too many detectors already anyway. Still, it is almost an investment at this price as used prices are going to take a big jump also.
      Anyway, just a head's up for forum members in case anyone was on the fence about the CZ-21.

• By Steve Herschbach
      White's XLT Owner's Guide, 1.08 MB pdf file, 56 pages
      White's XLT Data & Reviews
      White's Metal Detector Forum
    • By GB_Amateur
      I did some testing in my back yard to compare relative depths achievable in my soils with various coils on the Fisher F75.
      Caution:  these are relative measurements specific to my soil conditions (including ferromagnetic mineral content and current moisture content).  The purpose is merely to compare coil sensitivity for particular settings which push the detection depth limit under these conditions but otherwise should not be used as an absolute indication of how this detector with these coils mounted will perform under different conditions by other detectorists.  My ground is of moderate mineralization, measuring 2-3 bars on the F75 depending upon exact location in my backyard and coil choice (higher reading for largest coils).
      Detector setup:  Fisher F75 Limited (black) operating in motion 'all metal' (USA nomenclature, not Minelab's!), DST on, gain=99 (max), ground balanced, noise cancelled, threshold=0.  I plugged Garrett GS2 headphones directly into the socket, i.e. 'wired' headphones.
      Test targets:  5" deep 95% copper Memorial USA 1 cent, 6" deep 25% nickel, 75% copper USA 5 cent ('nickel').  (These have been in the ground ~ 2 years.)
      Measurement meaning:  because the coins are at fixed depth, in each measurement I raise the coil until I lose the signal in either left or right swing directions.  That is, I require the target to sound off clearly as the coil moves from left to right and from right to left.  I use wood blocks as shims with a least significant thickness increment of 1/2" (~1.3 cm).  I estimate half that or 1/4" as the measurement's systematic uncertainty.  Note that these measurements are intermediate ('hybrid') between full ground and an (full) air test.

Coils tested:
      Fisher stock 7"x11" DD and 5" round DD (both included in the Limited/black model package), Coiltek 6" round DD prototype (built for Fisher F5 and operated successfully on my Fisher Gold Bug Pro), Mars 6"x10" DD Sniper, and Detech 13" round DD Ultimate.  (I forgot to test the only concentric I have for this detector -- Fisher 5.5"x10" which is the stock coil on their F70.  I'll do that later this week and add it to the table below.)
      Results:

Summary/Conclusions:  With the exception of the yellow-highlighted Coiltek prototype (which was not designed for the F75), the order of depth does reflect coil size.  The Mars 6"x10" DD performs almost as well as the stock Fisher 7"x11" DD.  The largest coil, the Detech Ultimate, is only a bit better than those two which likely reflects the considerable increase in ground it 'sees'.