Garrett AT Series That Good?

Are the Garrett AT series detectors (Pro, Gold and Max) that good? Based on youtube personalities, it looks like it. But after doing research on online message boards, it seems like they're "good, but there are other comparable or better options out there," a la the Equinox.

How much of the prevalence of Garrett AT metal detectors on youtube is due to effective marketing and how much is due  the AT metal detectors being that good?

I'm not intending to start a flame war or anything as I eventually plan on upgrading my machine and I'm considering the AT Max, Equinox 800 or Fisher F75.

Just my opinion:  For their price point the AT series are great detectors, they offer many features at a cost that other detectors don't.  I think they still have a place in the market for people just starting out that don't want to invest a ton before seeing if detecting is for them.  

• Like 2

Any metal detector made by a major manufacturer that sells for over $200 is a “good detector”. They all work better than the best of the best made not all that long ago. The technology is old enough that performance differences are hair splitting. This in turn fuels never ending YouTube comparison videos just because the performance actually is that close.

The Garrett AT series was a game changer at the time, putting a full feature detector in a light weight, affordable waterproof housing. People take that for granted already, but it is the Garrett AT Pro that paved the way for all to follow. However, the AT series is now long in the tooth, and you can invest just as little money now for alternatives that may have more desirable features. The AT is no longer a low price option in that regard. It did get where it is however by being a real bargain for quite some time PLUS a well oiled marketing machine. Garrett figured out social media way before the competition, half of which is still clueless.

The truth is all the best machines are very competitive and so it is the operator more than anything that makes a machine shine. Knowing your detector and putting it on good sites is the key. A top notch operator can grab any one of dozens of machines and do well.

Bottom line is the Garrett AT series are good detectors but I do think others now offer similar or better bang for the buck. You can’t really go wrong with an AT either - they are a well proven safe choice.

Click on image for larger view...

garrett-at-pro-gold-max-specification-comparison-chart.jpg

garrett-at-pro-gold-max-price-for-sale.jpg

at-max-garrett-control-panel.jpgat-gold-garrett-control-panel.jpgat-pro-garrett-control-panel.jpg

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The truth is all the best machines are very competitive and so it is the operator more than anything that makes a machine shine. Knowing your detector and putting it on good sites is the key. A top notch operator can grab any one of dozens of machines and do well.

That is a great statement and one I agree with.  

• 2 months later...

I am using Garrett AT Pro for 3 years. As for me, one of the best metal detectors for coins and relics in $500 segment. The main advantages:

• easy to use (User-friendly interface)
  • good depth and discrimination
  • ground balance
  • a lot of search coils for any tasks

Perhaps soon I will replace it with something more recent with multi frequency technology. Maybe it's time to try Minelab :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If your doing good with the AT Pro you might want to check out the MAX. Interface is very similar and it has incredible depth. Target id's and gb numbers run identical to the AT Pro from my experience. My buddy is new to detecting and has one.

After having bought and used a Minelab Equinox 800 for more than 80 hours/ 1 year, I bought a Garrett AT Max as well. The AT Max is my favourite detector now.

Don't get me wrong, the Equinox is a very very good detector in my opinion and I'm keeping it for sure. However I can not really get used to the "tight" vdi scale of -9 to 40. I prefer a vdi scale of 0 to 99. And the handle/straight-stem combination causes my arm (elbow/shoulder) to hurt some after even half an hour. No problems with the S-stems of my other two detectors. 

But  most importantly (for me personally) the AT Max has something extra, that I have never experienced with another brand of detector, namely: FUN. It's hard to describe why or how, but just looking at it and using the AT Max gives me joy. And every time the Max connects immediately with the MS-3 headphones (or my Z-Lynk receiver for use with my XP backphones) and the wireless AT Z-Lynk pinpointer. BTW, this "FUN-factor" is not advertised by Garrett, but you get it nevertheless and for free. 😉

I think (and it's just my personal opinion, others may have a completely different opinion of course) the Equinox is more technically advanced and adjustable to personal preferences. More frequencies and also simultaneous frequencies will give me more confidence of being able to adjust everything to the "max" (with the Eqx instead of the Max 😀) while prospecting or searching around salt water. The Equinox has everything I want in a detector, but , since I bought the AT Max, I find myself taking out the AT Max to the fields and parks every time. 

On topic:  Garrett AT Series That Good?  ( for me) YES!

I suppose, now I'm a Garrett-fanboy, as well as an Equinox-fanboy. 😁

• Like 7