Recovery Speed Comparision

midalake

There is a thread on "other sites' asking about recovery speed and depth? With SALT WATER. The only question was do you loose depth, in a higher recovery?  I would say with the NOX at 6 there is a balance with quiet running and depth in salt water.[esp with black sand]  With a machine like the Sovereign in all metal Pinpoint mode it is doubtful you can overswing or swing this too fast on ANY salt beach. Yesterdays take with the sovereign in all metal pinpoint [for those who never had a 186 coin day]. [347 pesos] 

DSC01090.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Recovery speed is primarily a way of getting good target separation in dense trash.

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The faster available recovery speed is perhaps the biggest performance advantage of the Equinox over other Minelab detectors.

I received conditional permission to MD on a site that has interested me for years because of first-hand stories I have heard. It is my first such site and I have spent about 15 hours of headphone time there, spread over 3 hunting sessions. Many nails, lots of other “trashy” stuff. Interspersed among these were some modern coins and a copper? relic (not pictured) found on my first outing, and other non-ferrous items. I am using Park 1 and have kept pretty close to the default settings but yesterday I ventured into Recovery speed - just so happens the topic of this thread.

It seems to my ear that at a recovery of 6 (default) and moderate swing rate the Nox will respond to targets fast enough that the rapid distinct bursts of audio are difficult to separate, isolate and locate. When a desirable tone is heard I retrace and slow my swing in an attempt to lock its location. Yesterday, during my last hour or so, I intentionally sacrificed any notion of depth and experimented bumping the recovery between 6-8 and slowing my swing. I also reduced sensitivity to 15. Even with the settings changes, I was digging miscellaneous non-ferrous bits up to 4-6 inches - no obvious loss of depth compared with prior time spent on site.

I include a couple of pictures from yesterday to better display the site I thinly described (and shorten this post by 2000 words). How would others suggest I best apply the Recovery setting to swing speed? Site specifics aside, does a higher recovery speed necessitate a slower swing rate to advantage or does it allow for a faster swing to cover more ground? Or both? Or other?

On 4/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, midalake said:

Yesterdays take with the sovereign in all metal pinpoint [for those who never had a 186 coin day]. [347 pesos] 

186 to 1 ... your favor. Do my aluminum bar stock, and silver (plated) unicorn, and a beercan-sized hunk of lead count? ? 

ferrous.thumb.jpg.1e74f32409f51d9ab2d2ab3a052cd82d.jpg

Ferrous - Penny for size

nonferrous.thumb.jpg.da671f37b821c36f826117d43b399e4b.jpg

Non-ferrous

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s all about how the machine is reacting.

That is precisely what I experienced. If I slowed recovery I found I was missing tones that were more distinctly audible over the same targets in faster recovery. The density and the machine forced me to increase recovery and to slow my swing way down in order to take advantage of this Equinox power talk. Trying to anyway. The layers of targets - ferrous over or next to non-ferrous -produced tones that made this an enjoyable challenge, especially when I would finally isolate a tone I believed would be worth digging. At that point, I could use the meter. However, until I could isolate a good tone the meter was confusing and seemed out of synch with the tones that were within my ability to distinguish. TID became useful when I managed to narrow the audio. Some of the smaller bits were inadvertently collected in the process of going for a non-ferrous target. The other ferrous stuff was just plain smarter than me. Keying on recovery speed coupled with some sensitivity adjustment now makes some sense to this neophyte. After a few more sessions in this iron labyrinth, I will be moving on to what I hope to be choicer permission I was kindly granted. I gotta say this: I feel fortunate to be starting on the Equinox - like walking on the shoulders of giants past and present. Quite a platform you guys have collectively assembled!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pedlar mills said:

Steve do you ever find yourself going to 8? So far 7 is as high as I have really run the nox much. 

I am nearly always running recovery speed 5 or 6, with 7 occasionally and 4 rarely. I basically never use 1, 2, 3, or 8. Not saying there is anything wrong with those settings for other people and places. It’s just what works for me doing what I do. :smile:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Recovery speed allows one to swing faster but for some reason people are interpreting this to mean they should swing faster. There is absolutely nothing that says because you increase recovery speed you should increase your swing speed.

I always assumed that was the case but have never seen it written.   Good tip.   ???

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Some of the smaller bits were inadvertently collected in the process of going for a non-ferrous target. The other ferrous stuff was just plain smarter than me.

Iron is smarter than everyone.  Sure, more experienced detectorists will sort out some iffy targets, but the right collection of iron will conspire to make a signal good enough to dig.  There is no shame in digging an iffy target and finding iron.  Contrast that with skipping an iffy target that turns out to be a keeper.   Only one of these gives you the true answer.  When in doubt, dig it out.

• Like 7