I was hunting some pasture a downhill slope where some area has been levelled out looking like a foundation of some kind. For me it looks like there has been some kind of building or similar but nothing left except green grass. I found this item. Cleaning it up I found 6 sun-markings. 3 to the left of the tip and 3 to the right. Could it be a part of a sundial? Any suggestions on the age?

Dring2.JPG

Dring1.jpg

• Like 4

That would most certainly excite us if so.  I have no clue and expected it to be part of a buckle.  Hopefully I am wrong and your good eyes can put some Sun Light on this find.

• Like 1

somebody told me that it could be some kind of horse equipment like a chest buckle/plate???? Does anybody know who used the sun-mark stamps?

Maybe that could be a sundial and that engraving could represent the sun...or maybe that could be a toy stirrup and that engraving could be a spur...we may never know :smile:

strick

• Like 1

You could measure it and compare to known pieces. I would assume some sort of equestrian doo dah would be a different size than sun dials. Wonder how much other stuff is there? Do you have an all metal mode to find faint or ghost signals or there too much trash there?

Cool find!

• Like 1

Wondering if that is part of a scale of some sorts? Seems to have a pointer and the beveled inside edge must have some significance.

Sorry for the double post.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kac said:

Seems to have a pointer and the beveled inside edge must have some significance.

Agree that the point is the key to unravelling this mystery.  The point has to have a significant purpose.

• Like 2

I will definitly go back there as soon the grass has been cut as now I can't get the coil down on the ground. I found a ladies ring and a spoon in that area. I hope to find some more artefacts maybe coins to know more about the time this area has been frequented.

• Like 3

I'm leaning towards a buckle of some sorts. Hard to tell from the picture, but I think I see a rust spot in the middle of the buckle that goes over to another rust spot on the point of the buckle like the iron prong (tongue) would leave if it rusted away. I have a couple of colonial window sill sundials and the look a lot different.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      When I refer to lower ferrous could be confusing.   I actually am talking about ferrous line being lower on screen hence a higher ferrous number.
      Depth itself of a nonferrous target can effect how high a ferrous reading is provided on Etrac screen.
      Iron, rust, nail or nails can also drive ferrous number higher.
      Ground mineralization levels will drive ferrous number readings.  Higher mineralization soil will usuallynread higher ferrous numbers on targets of equivalent depth vs soil of milder mineralization.
      The orientation, size of target can drive ferrous number also.
      So the total detecting scenario will be evaluated by what the Etrac feels as to how the ferrous number reads.
      New folks to Etrac will find this video definitely helpful.  There are some myths out there as far as using 2 tone ferrous especially.
      What the video shows I have indeed seen in the wild using Etrac and comparing.
      Etrac users wanting more detailed info on this topic see this link (Etrac Manual) pages 63-66.
      Innthe video I stand to correct myself.  I state the tone break built in Etrac using 2 tone ferrous is 19, it is actually 17 ferrous where the detector transactions as far as reporting a higher tone or lower tone.
      https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4065/4901-0065-1.3 Instruction Manual E-Trac_Screen.pdf
      A few additional comments.
      Use of 2 tone ferrous.
      Sometimes a user may indeed get a good signal (due to ferrous number reporting in the zone).
      However coil sweep speed and or coil position, coil height— if out of whack somewhat, this could drive ferrous number of what Etrac provides  hence higher ferrous number reporting could be had hence if ferrous number is high enough user will get a lower tone vs higher tone and user will keep walking.
    • By rod-pa
      Hiyas...I recently dug a part of a pewter flatware.  I have never seen a makers mark or other identifying mark on flatware that I have dug before.  Putting it under my scope, and fooling around a lot with lighting directions, this is about the best it is going to get.  Any one have access to pewter manufacturer information?  I am stumped so far.
      The bottom is METAL, the top left looks like a B or S to me, and the right side I believe is NTA

• By DukeBoxer
      So I have a Tesoro Mojave that I love, it made me put the "all mighty" AT Pro down and never pick it up again. But ever since I got it I couldn't use it on the "Low" ground condition setting because it would false like crazy. I finally decided to have a serious look around and see if anyone had this problem and had fixed it and I couldn't find anything. I posted on treasurenet to see if anyone could help with at least some knowledge of the trim pots on the circuit board but i didn't get much help. Then I remembered about a website I saw a while ago, TreasureLinx, that had some diagrams of Tesoro mods on it. So I emailed Sven, the owner and asked if he could help out. He told me which trim pot controlled the ground balance and I fixed the problem, at least so far I think it's fixed. I'm going to copy and paste the posts I made to treasurenet and the email to Sven here...

(POST 1)
      Hey all. I've searched around google but I can't really find any information about this. I bought a Mojave on eBay a year or two ago and I love it. I found my first and best gold ring with it and i even ditched my AT Pro in favor of it. The problem is it's always been pretty hot and falsed a lot in the low setting of the GB. In southern CT I had to run it on the high ground balance even though I'm pretty sure the ground there isn't that mineralized. I love in Costa Rica now and the few times I've taken it out it likes to false on the high GB setting and the low is basically unusable.
      I've tuned the ground balance on my compadre that ran hot when I got it too but from what I can see there's no GB potentiometer screw on the Mojave. Does anyone know of anything I can do tune it a bit so it doesn't run so hot?
      (EMAIL TO SVEN)
      Hi, my name is Josh. I have a Tesoro Mojave that runs hot in high ground phase mode and I was wondering if you knew if either of the trim pots on the board are for adjusting the ground balance? I'm trying to ask on treasurenet and on the Facebook Tesoro group but I'm pretty sure it was you who put a manual ground balance on your Mojave.
      I've adjusted my compadre because when I got it it would false on some basalt rocks and now it runs perfectly quiet. But the Mojave has been chattery since I got it. Here's a picture of the board, I don't think you need it but I marked the two trim pots and the two wires coming from the ground phase toggle. Thanks!

(EMAIL BACK FROM SVEN)
      Hi, one towards the PCB center should be GB pot, the other will be disc bias- don't touch it.
      Tom has reworked his Mojave with full mods, contact him thru Findmall https://www.findmall.com/profile.php?56,1260
      Sven

(EXPLANATION OF MY SOLUTION ON TNET)
      Ok I fixed this one too (I'm referring to the almost same problem I had with the Compadre that is documented on this forum also). I emailed Sven from treasurelinx, hoping he'd see the email and get back to me at some point in the next couple weeks...it was less than 12 hours before I had a reply. I asked him if he knew which trim pot, if any, controlled the ground balance. He informed me it was the one on the left, the innermost one that did. The one on the outside controls the discrimination and should not be touched. Here's what I did.
      I opened up the control box and exposed the board. I made sure the disc was set to the lowest position in iron (basically no disc), the sensitivity was on 4 and the ground condition was on low. I took the coil and pumped it at the ground and it falsed. I then turned the trimmer all the way CLOCKWISE until it wouldn't turn any more. I did this very very easily and lightly. If you attempt this remember, easily and lightly. I then pumped the coil to the ground to make sure it wasn't falseing still and it wasn't. Then I started turning it back COUNTER CLOCKWISE a tiny bit at a time until it started to false and then turned it slightly back CLOCKWISE to where it didn't false any more. Remember, the movements are slight when turning the trimmer. 
      I also noticed that when I touched the yellow wire coming from the ground condition toggle, it made the machine false also. Knowing why and being able to fix it is probably beyond my knowledge and comfort zone so I made sure that when I put it back together it was snug and didn't move. I'm guessing some of the falseing was for that wire and other falseing was from the ground balance being off.
      Again, this was the solution to my problem. It might not be the same for everyone but it worked for me. I hope this helps at least one person with the same problem since I couldn't find a solution for it myself, or even a good picture of the board

Here are some pictures of the Mojave board for reference

• By Dan(NM)
      Who here has dug one, if so, what mode were you in and do you remember what the VDI was? Also, does anyone have one you could do an air test in park 1.  My buddy and I are hunting an area that is old enough to possibly have one lurking about. I understand my soil, the orientation, etc will affect VDI's, I just need a baseline to start with, thanks.
    • By 31-coinshooting
      Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been collecting coins for almost 15 years, and years ago I started rock collecting thanks to my daughter who got me interested. If you put this two ingredients together... I would like to start with metal detecting focus in current and old coins. Going to parks, lakes, old houses, beaches, rivers, you name it... but like I said before, focus mainly in current and old coins to add to my collection!!!)

I've been doing research for which machine to get and I know for newbies like myself this can be overwhelming and tentative (NOX 600/800) because there always going to exist a better machine for a little more money than what you are planning to spend an sometimes discussions in forums can confuse you even more. I'm a very dedicated person I do not mind spend time to get to know a MD 

Which MT would you recommend me to get to find coins anywhere (not necessarily waterproof but I will need it for shallow water)
      under 500$?

... I live in Maryland just as a reference.
    • By AussieDigs
      Gold Bug Pro of the PI world?
      uncomplicated, not ridiculously expensive, excellent performance!
      Which unit would it be?