Part Of A Sundial? Need Help!

I was hunting some pasture a downhill slope where some area has been levelled out looking like a foundation of some kind. For me it looks like there has been some kind of building or similar but nothing left except green grass. I found this item. Cleaning it up I found 6 sun-markings. 3 to the left of the tip and 3 to the right. Could it be a part of a sundial? Any suggestions on the age?

Dring2.JPG

Dring1.jpg

• Like 4

That would most certainly excite us if so.  I have no clue and expected it to be part of a buckle.  Hopefully I am wrong and your good eyes can put some Sun Light on this find.

• Like 1

somebody told me that it could be some kind of horse equipment like a chest buckle/plate???? Does anybody know who used the sun-mark stamps?

Maybe that could be a sundial and that engraving could represent the sun...or maybe that could be a toy stirrup and that engraving could be a spur...we may never know :smile:

strick

• Like 1

You could measure it and compare to known pieces. I would assume some sort of equestrian doo dah would be a different size than sun dials. Wonder how much other stuff is there? Do you have an all metal mode to find faint or ghost signals or there too much trash there?

Cool find!

• Like 1

Wondering if that is part of a scale of some sorts? Seems to have a pointer and the beveled inside edge must have some significance.

Sorry for the double post.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kac said:

Seems to have a pointer and the beveled inside edge must have some significance.

Agree that the point is the key to unravelling this mystery.  The point has to have a significant purpose.

• Like 2

I will definitly go back there as soon the grass has been cut as now I can't get the coil down on the ground. I found a ladies ring and a spoon in that area. I hope to find some more artefacts maybe coins to know more about the time this area has been frequented.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards a buckle of some sorts. Hard to tell from the picture, but I think I see a rust spot in the middle of the buckle that goes over to another rust spot on the point of the buckle like the iron prong (tongue) would leave if it rusted away. I have a couple of colonial window sill sundials and the look a lot different.

• Like 1