TDI Battery Voltage

I'm guessing you are correct.  I'd guess the TDI's changed over time, as components fell to the discontinued status, substitutions were made.  I'm doubting White's will provide any information but I'd still like to know why there are so many variations with the machine.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2019 at 8:12 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Very interesting Jim. 

What device are you using to measure the voltage? 

I was using a calibrated Fluke True RMS and was measuring directly from the TX output on the board.

All this said I noticed a very large difference in voltage from a complete counter clockwise frequency offset to a complete clockwise setting.  Even though there was a large difference in output voltage I didn't see any extra air test advantage.  The manual states this feature function is "This control makes small adjustments to the transmitter pulse rate".  I was guessing a small shift in the frequencies and wasn't expecting the voltage span.

Now you have me to wondering if the inductance of my coils might be different than yours because if the inductance is quite a bit larger (value) that would limit the current flow considerably.

I picked up one good thing about this discussion, besides the overall stuff. That is, there's a benefit to running the frequency maxed out, as far as energy to the coil goes. I'll be doing that from now on, assuming it doesn't cause an excess noise problem. On mine, that's over an 8% gain in coil voltage. Nothing to sneer at.

Jim

• Like 3

On 5/11/2019 at 9:26 AM, bklein said:

Has someone verified that sample timing stays constant with battery voltage change? On lesser pi’s it moves.

That's an interesting question, but I have no idea if that's the case with the Whites TDI SL.

Jim

• 2 months later...

I have not. They look interesting. But, you won't get a voltage boosth from them...only 8 will fit in the TDI SL. But they might be the nuts in my GM24K. Nobody makes a lithium rechargeable pack for that.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to butt-in, but am i to assume that a 16V+ power pack can run a TDI-SL perfectly  WITHOUT any form of regulator?.....AND provide a sensitivity boost? My Brother uses a 2013 build SL without any mods at all and is his 'go-to' prospecting machine due to the extreme mineralization he has in his area. He's gonna do all of the mods shortly and wants to be sure there's no error. Thanks 😊

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

Sorry to butt-in, but am i to assume that a 16V+ power pack can run a TDI-SL perfectly  WITHOUT any form of regulator?.....AND provide a sensitivity boost? My Brother uses a 2013 build SL without any mods at all and is his 'go-to' prospecting machine due to the extreme mineralization he has in his area. He's gonna do all of the mods shortly and wants to be sure there's no error. Thanks 😊

No regulator required. I would use a charger that allows you to set the max charge voltage, and limit it to 16v, rather than the 16.8v of the typical 4-cell pack  That has two benefits...it reduces the chance of a detector problem, and also will nearly double the life of the pack. (number of charge/discharge cycles). You can use a buck converter as a charger...most have adjustable charge current and voltage.

Jim

• Like 3

Awesome, thank you Jim 😊

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:26 AM, bklein said:

Has someone verified that sample timing stays constant with battery voltage change? On lesser pi’s it moves.

I would guess that that portion of the circuitry is regulated, and the increased voltage has no effect.

Jim