phoenix

The New Coils For The 23 And 7

Maybe something to think about. Bearing in mind I am probably going to get these new coils for the 23 and 7 myself, people should at least consider, a lot of people are saying something along the lines of "my detector is out of warranty anyway, so I`m not risking anything fitting these new coils", but, it is Minelabs policy to not repair any modified Minelab detector.    I daresay that if you were to send a out of warrenty 2300 or 7000 back to Minelab for repair and Minelab saw you were running a unsanctioned coil, they wont repair the detector.    You could end up with a 4K or 10K detector that all it`s good for is to fill it with concrete and use it as a anchor.
Like I said, I am probably going to get the coils myself, but I will be doing it with the idea that if either detector fails I will probably have to throw it away, and that`s on me and no one else.
I have no reason to suspect the coils are going to cause any damage and I wish Coiltek and davsgold nothing but success with these new coils.

It's Minelab's policy not to repair any detector under warranty for no cost to the customer if the coils damage the detector, they will however repair any detector when the customer pays for the repair, they're not evil ?

All they're saying is if you damage your detector using the coils the warranty will be void, not that they won't fix it at your cost.

• Like 1

Simon I did not at all follow what you just said but IF you have a modified GPX and you send it to minelab for repair, Minelab will not look at it

32 minutes ago, phoenix said:

Simon I did not at all follow what you just said but IF you have a modified GPX and you send it to minelab for repair, Minelab will not look at it

ahhh ok, yes neither are permanent modifications though, you can set the back to normal in no time and they can't tell it was done ?

Sorry for not making sense, busy morning

The main difference I see between fitting an aftermarket coil to either an SDC2300 or GPZ7000 is that the GPZ7000 was designed to have coils swapped, granted it is supposed to be the 14 and 19 ML coils, but the SDC2300 it is clearly stated the machine was not designed to have coils swapped.

Even the earlier GP and GPX ML detectors, ML always stated that if aftermarket coils were used it "could" void warranty, as ML said they could not guarantee anything but their own coils on their machines.  Not many people ever worried about this. ?    

That's my understanding anyway, and as always if the internals of any ML detector have been modified then ML have the right to send them back unserviced, if they choose.

cheers dave 

• Like 1

How are Minelab too tell if you have a modified coil fitted ?? in the case of the SDC if anything did go wrong then just change the coil back and no one would be non the wiser if you dont tell them,also from what i can see the GPZ after market coil option requires the end plug too be taken off and used because of the chip problem,but as most folks who have bought a GPZ would have 2 factory coil,could they not just send back the decent non modified coil back with the detector or am i reading this wrong ??

Of course Minelab will post a 'warranty warning' its natural as they dont want lost sales of its products,but the Coiltek afrermarket coil option looks a superb product,but Minelab would only have knowledge of you using this aftermarket coil product if you told them about using it.

Over the weekend I saw someone take a new 2300 and place on one of the new coils.  After using that coil for a bit of time he switched back in about 15 minutes.  The new coil found a tiny little nugget.  I don't remember which one of the 3 he used but he ended up buying a second coil by the end of the weekend.

My first detector was a modified Excalibur 1000 from Excalibur Dave and I got really ripped off.  Only one headphone would work and the pods would be staticy when adjusted.  It was a Frankenstein of a machine and was heavily abused.  I was new and bought on a recommendation plus thinking i needed modded gear.  How wrong.  Even though he said he would stand by his work for a year, he didn’t, and left me high and dry.  I called Minelab, told them what i had and they were more than willing to help me.  When it got to the repair center the headphones were garbage and replaced, pods and board, replaced, the case had a crack (no longer waterproof), replaced, and a couple other things.  They basically brought that Excal back from the dead, I had to pay, it wasn’t free but now My Excal is what it should have been from the start, and its still my go to underwater detector for the last 4 years.  That was a huge lesson learned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Over the weekend I saw someone take a new 2300 and place on one of the new coils.  After using that coil for a bit of time he switched back in about 15 minutes.  The new coil found a tiny little nugget.  I don't remember which one of the 3 he used but he ended up buying a second coil by the end of the weekend.

As I recall, he was using the 11-inch round when he found his first nugget, and dug 2 more with the 5x10-inch elliptical.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lunk said:

he was using the 11-inch round when he found his first nugget, and dug 2 more with the 5x10-inch elliptical

I`ve been told the 10x5 is a killer coil on the small stuff.   It`s probably the one I`ll get.