The New Coils For The 23 And 7

Maybe something to think about. Bearing in mind I am probably going to get these new coils for the 23 and 7 myself, people should at least consider, a lot of people are saying something along the lines of "my detector is out of warranty anyway, so I`m not risking anything fitting these new coils", but, it is Minelabs policy to not repair any modified Minelab detector.    I daresay that if you were to send a out of warrenty 2300 or 7000 back to Minelab for repair and Minelab saw you were running a unsanctioned coil, they wont repair the detector.    You could end up with a 4K or 10K detector that all it`s good for is to fill it with concrete and use it as a anchor.
Like I said, I am probably going to get the coils myself, but I will be doing it with the idea that if either detector fails I will probably have to throw it away, and that`s on me and no one else.
I have no reason to suspect the coils are going to cause any damage and I wish Coiltek and davsgold nothing but success with these new coils.

X Coil 2021 News

Simon I did not at all follow what you just said but IF you have a modified GPX and you send it to minelab for repair, Minelab will not look at it

How are Minelab too tell if you have a modified coil fitted ?? in the case of the SDC if anything did go wrong then just change the coil back and no one would be non the wiser if you dont tell them,also from what i can see the GPZ after market coil option requires the end plug too be taken off and used because of the chip problem,but as most folks who have bought a GPZ would have 2 factory coil,could they not just send back the decent non modified coil back with the detector or am i reading this wrong ??

Of course Minelab will post a 'warranty warning' its natural as they dont want lost sales of its products,but the Coiltek afrermarket coil option looks a superb product,but Minelab would only have knowledge of you using this aftermarket coil product if you told them about using it.

Over the weekend I saw someone take a new 2300 and place on one of the new coils.  After using that coil for a bit of time he switched back in about 15 minutes.  The new coil found a tiny little nugget.  I don't remember which one of the 3 he used but he ended up buying a second coil by the end of the weekend.

My first detector was a modified Excalibur 1000 from Excalibur Dave and I got really ripped off.  Only one headphone would work and the pods would be staticy when adjusted.  It was a Frankenstein of a machine and was heavily abused.  I was new and bought on a recommendation plus thinking i needed modded gear.  How wrong.  Even though he said he would stand by his work for a year, he didn’t, and left me high and dry.  I called Minelab, told them what i had and they were more than willing to help me.  When it got to the repair center the headphones were garbage and replaced, pods and board, replaced, the case had a crack (no longer waterproof), replaced, and a couple other things.  They basically brought that Excal back from the dead, I had to pay, it wasn’t free but now My Excal is what it should have been from the start, and its still my go to underwater detector for the last 4 years.  That was a huge lesson learned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Over the weekend I saw someone take a new 2300 and place on one of the new coils.  After using that coil for a bit of time he switched back in about 15 minutes.  The new coil found a tiny little nugget.  I don't remember which one of the 3 he used but he ended up buying a second coil by the end of the weekend.

As I recall, he was using the 11-inch round when he found his first nugget, and dug 2 more with the 5x10-inch elliptical.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lunk said:

he was using the 11-inch round when he found his first nugget, and dug 2 more with the 5x10-inch elliptical

I`ve been told the 10x5 is a killer coil on the small stuff.   It`s probably the one I`ll get.  

It would be great if we could get an official written statement from Minelab on both their repair stance after using these coils and wether or not they are ever coming out with a smaller coil themselves for those of us who prefer to keep their factory warranty. If they don't read these forums anymore it would be great if a dealer or similar could encourage them to do this, all my connections there have now apparantly moved on.

It's a flagship product that was clearly designed with software and hardware upgrades/accessories in mind, yet they've been silent for years. Just on general principal they should have made some statement one way or the other, especially if they do not intend to make anything except the 19" coil which is tepidly used at best.

• Like 3

There are no aftermarket 7000 coils... yet. Therefore no statement. People running a prototype coil are definitely on their own.

I posted Minelabs published statement on SDC aftermarket coils a month ago. I would bet a GPZ statement would be similar. The 7000 at least is designed for using more than one coil. It’s the cutting off and reuse of the Minelab end connector with chip that could be problematic - instantly voids coil warranties at the minimum. And could impact resale value.

SDC 2300 PRODUCT NOTICE & WARRANTY STATEMENT

Recently, Coiltek has introduced aftermarket coils that can be retrofitted to the SDC 2300. These have been developed independently of Minelab and Minelab has not had any involvement with these coils. Minelab cannot and does not provide any information or support regarding the use of these coils. Minelab does not guarantee the SDC 2300’s performance when used in conjunction with these coils.

The SDC is manufactured by Minelab in a standard configuration designed to be robust and offering easy to use high performance; any changes to the product may alter its performance. Further, such modifications may materially impact the ability of Minelab to support and warrant your SDC 2300. The SDC 2300 is not designed for changing coils nor for use with other coil sizes and specifically any damage which is assessed by Minelab or its Authorised Service Centres (ASCs) as having resulted from such modification will not be covered by the Minelab warranty.

All Minelab detectors are engineered in Australia, manufactured to exacting standards in ISO 9001/2000 quality accredited facilities, and backed by up to defined transferable warranties. Review the full Minelab warranty period, terms and conditions on our website.

Hey Steve,

I have to agree with you on your statement about the GPZ.  I doubt Minelab will promote any aftermarket coil on these units, which in a sense is unfortunate.  Many customers since the day the GPZ was introduced were hoping for a option of a few more coils, such as a smaller and larger.  They eventually introduced the 19" Super DD Searchcoil, but never anything any smaller. 

It's always been a debate of mine, as I have found such tiny gold with the GPZ using just the stock 14x13.  However, it's not the easiest sized coil to work tight areas, pinpoint in tight locations, or just be a coil that you run on bedrock all day to pick up small gold nuggets (dinks).  I personally think a smaller coil would have sold well on the GPZ, maybe something even as small as a 11" Round.  

The Coiltek/Minelab debate on the SDC is kind of weird.  Since the early 90's Coiltek started designing aftermarket searchcoils for the first SD 2000 and on.  I was one of the first Coiltek dealers in the US, working under Doc.  I still remember the times where I couldn't keep enough coils in stock, the demand worldwide was super high.  Doc, in my opinion did an amazing job as a US Distributor and I couldn't see anyone else filling that shoe at that time.  Coiltek in my opinion, has always represented Minelab to the highest degree and their coils and detectors always worked great together.  

I understand the warranty issue on the SDC and maybe the GPZ, as it requires you to do more than just unplug and plug a coil into a connection.  The SDC 2300 requires you to remove a side panel, unscrew the cable, remove the cable through the shaft and such, and do the same steps to attach a new aftermarket coil.  

I do feel anyone that has a SDC 2300, these new coils will give you more performance and options on the SDC.  I have sold a good amount of them, mostly the larger ones as customers are looking to achieve more depth and coverage vs. the stock 8" round Mono.  I have done some testing to prove this is the case, the larger 11" Round and 14x9" do in fact get more depth, especially on larger gold Gram+ size.  I don't recommend anyone buying a larger coil for the SDC to get the same performance on small gold as the 8" Round.  

I think it has always been a old "rule of thumb" as you increase the coil size in length and width, you will loose some sensitivity to small gold, but start getting a bit more depth on larger gold and move coverage per swing.  

Just my ramblings .... 

• Like 7