The New Coils For The 23 And 7

On 4/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, jasong said:

It does sound like Minelab has not abandoned the serious gold prospector entirely

Codan, Minelabs parent, does around $230 million a year in sales, and about 70% or $164 million of that last year was metal detectors. The vast majority of that was gold detectors, mostly in Africa. You can rest assured Minelab has not and will not abandon gold prospectors - it is the business. Coin type detectors are not the driver for Minelab by a long shot, even with Equinox out there.

Here are the sales distribution numbers for the total sales....

codan-fy18-global-sales-map.jpg
Codan FY18 Global Sales

minelab-2018-annual-report.jpg.35d208efa

Source

• Like 1

I believe that for sure, I guess what I'm referring to is the GPZ in specific though. My impression is that a lot of prospectors in Africa are using stuff like the Gold Monster and older PI's more, but I really have no idea. I know they are serious prospectors too, more than I am since often there is no option for them but to find gold. I'm just basing that off what people tell me whom I speak with on my Youtube channel mostly.

There is some interesting stuff happening out there which is only just now starting and may or may not lead to more. A lot of global people who never use forums contact me through my videos which is pretty cool. One guy I just spoke with has permits to prospect recently opened areas in Northern Iraq (Kurdish territory) and will be essentially detecting in a war zone as they are still fighting ISIS, a place that has never seen a metal detector before in a non-military sense. He's just a young Kurdish kid, and is going to set up an Instagram page to update his progress. People like this contact me almost daily for detector recommendations, and often I refer them to your gold detector review page. All kinds of people from all over, - Papua New Guinea and a few other places in Oceania, Peru, China, etc.

The large majority, I mean close to 99% if I guessed, want to know what to buy under $500 though. So I'm assuming there aren't a ton of GPZ's being used by the locals in these places and so I really started wondering what it's future was going to hold there.

So I'm guessing Minelab generally has goals to target that price range and market since by far it seems to have the largest growth potential. I just wanted to make sure they didn't forget us.

*On a side note, what exactly does Minelab manufacture in Idaho?

• Like 1

Thanks Jason, I appreciate that. Nice to have you back by the way. Believe it or not the number one sales area for the GPZ 7000 is..... Africa! People there were paying as much for a GPX 4500 as a GPZ 7000 at the height of the rush. There is more money in Africa than people think. They of course offer a full range however for those that cant afford the more expensive units - Gold Monster was made specifically for Africa. Selling to the "first world" countries was more an afterthought egged on by people like me.

Yeh Rob, I remember that. When they announced the release of the 7000 they said there would be a 11" and 20" as extra coils.  Down the track the 20" became a 19" and the 11" drifted off into the sunset.   I was told about  3 years ago and I really have no idea if there is any truth to it, that Minelab gave up on the 11" because it kept overloading the detector. Dave

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phoenix said:

...........I was told about  3 years ago and I really have no idea if there is any truth to it, that Minelab gave up on the 11" because it kept overloading the detector. Dave

There is no truth to that rumour whatsoever.

JP

• Like 2

Big companies that have virtually monopolized a market become arrogant.

Profit, profit, profit.

Minelab is now Codan.

Made in Malaysia.

• Like 1

You remember correctly Rob. It just never happened. It was even in the first edition of the owners manual. The U.S. guys wanted a small coil. The aussies wanted a large coil so it got done first... and then nothing. That’s why I’m kind of bent out of shape over it. I had visions of a smaller coil that weighed less and the CTX battery on the GPZ both together knocking a pound off the GPZ. That’s the detector I wanted since day one and never got. Would have been perfect for poking around desert sagebrush plus bouldery canyons and such.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

What ever happen to the 11" GPZ coil that Minelab promised?  I'm 99.9% sure when the unit was first released they mentioned a future  11" and 19" coil release, beyond the stock 14x13" inch.  Correct me if I'm wrong? 

There was originally a printed page that said 11" and  19" coils.  I am not sure where I saw it, but that has since been removed from all documents I can find.