The New Coils For The 23 And 7

Hey Guys,

I was pretty much positive that we were originally told a Minelab 11" GPZ coil would be released.  I understand that it didn't, but I thought I might be going crazy .... ?

I think the stock 14x13 is plenty sensitive to very small gold, down to a grain or so on the surface.  I have also found specimens with just a trace of gold showing.  That being said, a bit smaller would make it easier to work in tighter and smaller areas.  

JP - Great to see you on the forums.  I think to many of us, you're an Australian mentor when it comes to electronic prospecting. 

• Like 1

Back on topic.....

There are four key things that are super important with the ML coils for the GPZ.

• Saturation noise
  • X signal *Ferrite signal
  • Rub and knock sensitivity
  • Phase between left and right receive windings

Minelab invested a lot of Engineering time and effort into getting these key requirements to come into line. If these weren’t addressed properly then there would be a ground swell of complaints much worse than people not being happy about weight or the lack of coil choices. IN fact these features are so important to Minelab they are then bound by the coils being much heavier than traditional coils, unfortunately for us that’s the trade off. Hopefully this will change in the future, after all the GPZ is the first of its type so its early days for the tech.

An aftermarket manufacturer has a lot more latitude in this respect because often customers do not have the knowledge to know if negative aspects of the coil are actually related to the coil, the detector or the environment.

As an example the Spiral wound Mono’s for the GPX machines are notorioious for saturating and also because of the forced early demod a fair bit of X signal sneaks in not to mention elevated Salt signal. Even though the coils have provided users the opportunity to find more gold on old patches the method or way the coils achieve this is not eloquent and as such I hate using them. Don’t get me wrong if I did not have a choice then I too would be going down that path, but I know what they’re doing and how they are doing it and the way they make the detector behave takes away from a smooth detecting experience.

JP

* A signal off the Ferrite or X signal in the ground is determined by two things, X signal being present in the ground and the temperature of the electronics relative to the X balance position. If the X balance is not calibarated properly relative to the temperature of the detectors electronics then the detector will manifest a signal off the Ferrite or any X signal in the ground. This is why I advocate using the Semi-Auto GB mode, you calibrate the Ferrite then when you release the Quick-Trak button the X balance is locked, check again an hour or so later when the electronics have warmed up, re-calibrate and your good to go from then on.

In Auto mode the detector try’s to follow the X signal in the ground, but saturation signal and salt signal can interfere with the calibration which then introduces X signal to the audio, costing you performance. Any noise that is introduced to the detectors audio can affect performance, especially if the noise does not need to be there through a combination of good calibration techniques and good detecting techniques.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah JP I understand all of that as do most of us but now over 4 years on Minelab have left us out in the cold.  They have had the time to make the Equinox and 3 coils for it havent they?  On Minelabs part this make smart money sense as they sold crate loads of them, dont get me wrong I love my nox but I will be cutting the plug off my GPZ14 in the next week or so and making patch leads as I need a smaller coil and Minelab wont make one simple.  Giving a long list of technical reasons why they havent done so yet are basically just excuses in my opinion, especially when they introduced the Z, it was marketed with a future smaller coil.

• Like 4

My guess is someone at Minelab probably figured they would make more $ selling  complete detectors, as in sdc2300s, than by offering a small coil option for the gpZ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldwright said:

Minelab have left us out in the cold.  They have had the time to make the Equinox and 3 coils for it  Giving a long list of technical reasons why they havent done so yet are basically just excuses in my opinion, especially when they introduced the Z, it was marketed with a future smaller coil.

Hell Ya!!  exactly what I've been thinking... excuses.. excuses.... Minelab needs to get on this...Minelab is no different then a work horse in my mind.... I buy their stuff to find stuff....and there slacking big time in the GPZ extra coil department....someone needs to put the spurs and a good solid whip to them....get off your Arse minelab :biggrin: 

strick 

• Haha 1

JP I have just spent 4 hours behind the 15" X coil, after our local Dawn Service, nowhere near enough time for a proper review, but results like you know with the Z then the 19" ML are what I go by not by not users bad reviews or gossip. I gave it a wee go and proved it as being magic, this winter it will get a flogging. 

Going back some 30 years or so I put you onto gold indirectly through our NQ dealer, I`m going to do the same again, no fee just happy to do it, try a X coil, like the ML 19" it runs in my country in normal, it is stable belting rocks, in long grass, and importantly gets gold. Maybe in time they fail, but all manufacturers have failures even ML, maybe they`ll harm the Z buh……….. we could talk maybes til the cows come home, lets just talk gold.

You know I am a proud Ozzy of our Ozzy ML, MLs products have given me my good standard of living, I am not knocking ML, just giving X coils a go. I am not affiliated with X coil, I just bought it from Davsgold as a customer and got it posted in no time.

Av a go with a X coil, no bum steer here just go for it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's great to hear you're getting good results Norvic, I'm looking forward to hearing about JW's easter run with them too.  From what I've seen so far they're doing the job nicely for him.  I hope to get one for my GPX at some point, I like to try new things.   I wasn't around at the time but I wonder how people felt about Coiltek and Nugget Finder in the early GP days making coils, was it the same where some were against them saying they'd make your detector spontaneously combust or something similar? :laugh: 

I wonder if Minelab has a strong influence on some peoples opinions on things like aftermarket coils for the SDC and Zed.

98943864-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-puppet.jpg

Yeah, I was never involved in forums back in Coiltek and NFs founding days, but I got onto using their coils with good results, had a good yack with  Ronans Dad down in Wedderburn Vic "last century".

As to ML, of course because they have been well on top with gold MDs and because they are one of the few OZ successful companies they`ve copped a lot of flack, as you know us Ozzies are tops at knocking successful people, for me I`m very proud to use their products and give em plugs, but I don`t wear blinkers, getting golds what tis about.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I wonder if Minelab has a strong influence on some peoples opinions on things like aftermarket coils for the GPX, SDC and Zed, especially Minelab authorized dealers.

98943864-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-puppet.jpg

I call this type of rhetoric the ‘Barking Dog’ syndrome!! The barking dog only ever makes a noise when the car is moving off!!?

To put everyone in the picture, I’ve spent well over 200 hours on various stages in the development of the Russian coils so am in a very good position to pass comment. I am not instructed by anyone on my opinion, and hold to my comments on this thread, including my opinion of the way they are now being prematurely marketed.

Kind of ridiculous about the type of flak I’m now receiving because I’m probably the most qualified person to have ever used one. The individual who is making the coils has been very greatful for my feedback and continues to communicate with me regularly!!

JP

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I call this type of rhetoric the ‘Barking Dog’ syndrome!! The barking dog only ever makes a noise when the car is moving off!!?

To put everyone in the picture, I’ve spent well over 200 hours on various stages in the development of the Russian coils so am in a very good position to pass comment. I am not instructed by anyone on my opinion, and hold to my comments on this thread, including my opinion of the way they are now being prematurely marketed.

Kind of ridiculous about the type of flak I’m now receiving because I’m probably the most qualified person to have ever used one. The individual who is making the coils has been very greatful for my feedback and continues to communicate with me regularly!!

JP

Ah ha thank you for the enlightenment, and your review from use.

• Like 1